Read what people think about Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin, and write your own review.

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter

by Tom Franklin

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter

• Published in USA  Oct 2010

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter

Theresa R. (SIERRA MADRE, CA) (10/11/10)

Good Book
I found this to be an easy read and quite enjoyable. The author writes in a way that gets you involved in the story right away and makes you want to know what's going to happen next. I think this would be a great book club choice as it would bring about some good discussions.
Laura A. (Jeremiah, KY) (10/11/10)

Interesting Novel
I enjoyed "Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" by Tom Franklin. It was an interesting look at the relationship between a young white boy and a young black boy in Mississippi in a different time. It has some surprises that I didn't see coming. Definitely makes you think about how relationships with others affect our lives long term and what our responsibilities to others are.
Power Reviewer Carol T. (Ankeny, Iowa) (10/07/10)

Exceedingly readable -- a page turner
Hard to put down, even on the weariest of evenings! I'll read this author's work again.
Juli S. (Portland, OR) (10/06/10)

The kind of writing I'll reread
This is not a fast paced book that I wanted to read as quickly as possible to get to the resolution of the crime story. It's a book that I wanted to read slowly and savor the words and images that Franklin paints with them. It's a thoughtful, slowly building story that shifts back and forth between the present day and flashbacks to Larry and Silas as teenagers and how their friendship developed and then broke apart. While it is partly a crime story it’s even more the story of both Larry and Silas.

The descriptions and imagery are the kind of writing that makes me stop on a regular basis and reread a paragraph just for the words. It's heavy with atmosphere and the tension that gradually builds makes it a quiet thriller. While by the time the investigation is resolved it’s not any surprise the other parts of the story remain enough to keep the interest level high and the story moving along.

The writing had the same magic for me as Franklin's first novel "Hell at the Breech" without being quite as brutal.
Jill S. (Eagle, ID) (10/04/10)

Crooked Letter, Crooked letter
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, and will be recommending it to my friends and bookclub. It captivated me immediately, and it is a page turner!
The characters are believable, and although it was predictable, I couldn't put it down. I have not read Franklin's earlier works, but will be doing so in the near future.
Julie H. (Pine Grove, PA) (10/04/10)

Quick Read
Nicely drawn story about the relationship between two boys that grow into men in the deep south. The mystery was somewhat predictable in its ending, but it was a quick, enjoyable read.
Eileen L. (Danvers, MA) (10/04/10)

Never a dull moment
This is a page turner! Not the genre I typically go for I so was pleasantly and wonderfully surprised. From page one this story grabs you and does not let go. The characters are so carefully constructed and yet they, and the book, flow seamlessly. This book will appeal to so many readers - mystery lovers as well as anyone who loves a well developed, mature story. The theme of living with our pasts that are sometimes distorted and coming to terms with our history is poignant. The underlying mystery makes this book a true page turner.
Marie A. (Warner, NH) (10/01/10)

M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I
Great title, realistic, sympathetic characters, interesting plot, readable narrative style! In Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter, Tom Franklin has mastered well the ingredients of a memorable novel. Though some reviewers have hinted at predictable events, this is, nevertheless, a page turner and well worth the read.

• Book Jacket: Commonwealth

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review