What do readers think of Fragile by Lisa Unger? Write your own review.

Fragile

by Lisa Unger

Fragile by Lisa Unger X
Fragile by Lisa Unger

• Published in USA  Aug 2010
    Genre: Thrillers

There is 1 reader review for Fragile

Techeditor

You should enjoy this story of two missing-person's cases
Lisa Unger is one of those authors whose books I know I’ll enjoy even before I start reading them. And once again she has proven me right with FRAGILE. This book is a quick read not only because it’s relatively short; also, you won’t want to put it down.

FRAGILE is set in The Hollows, a fictional town in upstate New York. The Hollows is a mysterious place where people grow up and never seem to be able to leave, at least not for good. So most everyone knows everyone, went to high school together, and judges each other on the basis of who they were back then.

Maggie is one of those long-time residents who left for a while but then felt compelled to return. So she married another long-time resident, Jones. He had been the handsome football star when they went to high school together. Now he’s a police detective and Maggie is a psychologist in private practice.

Their son’s girlfriend is missing. Because everyone in town knows everyone, everyone is concerned, even if only because they knew her mother in high school (because, of course, everyone attended the same high school).

For many residents of The Hollows, the investigation into this missing-person's case brings up the memory of another missing-person's case back when Maggie and Jones were in high school. Questions about this old case are finally answered during the investigation into the present case.

It’s probably a little too convenient that most people in town grew up together. I suppose that makes it unrealistic. Also unrealistic is Maggie’s practice as a psychologist. Both the good guys and the bad guys are her patients, and that, too, seems a little too convenient.

But FRAGILE's Prologue is one of the best prologues I’ve read. It seems to me that most authors add a prologue to the beginning of their book in an effort to make it interesting right away. That usually doesn’t work well for me. This time, however, it did. I kept thinking of that prologue while I read the rest of the book. It was the hint of something that is not fully clear until nearly the end.

Accept the conveniences and, maybe, disregard the psychic, and you’ll enjoy this story of a small-town psychologist and her cop and their involvement in two missing-person’s cases.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Return of Faraz Ali
    The Return of Faraz Ali
    by Aamina Ahmad
    In Aamina Ahmad's debut, The Return of Faraz Ali, the eponymous character is a police inspector in ...
  • Book Jacket: The Wonders
    The Wonders
    by Elena Medel
    Spanish poet Elena Medel's debut novel The Wonders (translated by Lizzie Davis and Thomas Bunstead) ...
  • Book Jacket: Four Treasures of the Sky
    Four Treasures of the Sky
    by Jenny Tinghui Zhang
    '…when our Chinese customers come asking for millet and green onions, buying licorice and ...
  • Book Jacket: Hotel Magnifique
    Hotel Magnifique
    by Emily J. Taylor
    A golden ticket or a gilded cage? Seventeen-year-old Jani and her younger sister Zosa are not sure ...

Shadows of Berlin
by David R. Gillham
A captivating novel of a Berlin girl on the run from the guilt of her past and the boy from Brooklyn who loves her.

Fly Girl
    by Ann Hood

"Sheer pleasure. A hilarious and often moving look back at...a young woman's coming of age."
    —Dennis Lehane

The Immortal King Rao
    by Vauhini Vara

A resonant debut novel obliterating the boundaries between literary and speculative fiction, the historic and the dystopian.

The worst thing about reading new books...

I A J's W D, It's W D W