Read what people think about Bad Boy by Peter Robinson, and write your own review.

An Inspector Banks Novel

by Peter Robinson

• Published in USA  Aug 2010
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 28 reader reviews for Bad Boy

Selene M. (West Chicago, IL) (08/10/10)

Bad Boy Good Read
Although I have not read this Peter Robinson series before, I was able to jump right into this story. The plot, although not complex, was well-written. I hate when fictional novels, especially mysteries, have their characters doing improbable actions. It is interesting to note the subtle differences between British police procedure and American procedure. The multiple father-daughter angles both rang true, as well as the ethical duplicity an inspector must experience when you don't know if your daughter is a perpetrator or a victim. Good Read.
Ann C. (Roswell, GA) (07/27/10)

Peter Robinson's Bad Boy
Admittedly, I am a total Chief Inspector Banks fan and have enjoyed each of the books in this Peter Robinson series. And, this latest entry which features Banks' daughter Tracy and his co-worker Annie is a first rate addition to the series. This is a compelling story and a fascinating character study with plot twists enough to keep the reader involved until the very last pages. I'm waiting eagerly for the next one!
Marjorie W. (Bonita Springs, FL) (07/25/10)

Bad Boy by Peter Robinson
This is the first Inspector Banks novel that I have read. I did enjoy it after the characters became familiar to me. I found the first few chapters a bit confusing and had to return to pages read to place the characters. Once I got beyond that point it was a fun read and I would definitely recommend the story to others and would read more of the Inspector Banks series.
Beth P. (Chester, VA) (07/22/10)

Bad Boy
I have to admit that I ordered Peter Robinson's book, "Bad Boy" because my mom is a fan and I knew I could send it on to her. I have to tell you that within a few pages I was totally hooked on the book and am just sorry that I am starting with the latest Inspector Alan Banks book first. I have read many detective stories and what I loved about this book was that the characters came to mean something to me. I cared what happened to them. I rarely find that in a book that is also a nail-biter, one that you really don't want to put down. So now I am off to start reading the 19 other books by the award winning author. If you like British detective novels that will absolutely keep your attention, this book is for you.
Power Reviewer Colleen L. (Casco, ME) (07/19/10)

Bad Boy
I enjoyed this book. It was fast paced and kept me wondering what was going to happen till the very end. I liked the way the author told the story from the different character's viewpoints. I thought the ending could have been a bit more definitive. What happened to Tracy? Off scot free? Did Annie's surgery work? The book was well written and engaging but I felt the author should have answered a few more questions at the end. A good summer read!
Cheryl D. (Angola, NY) (07/18/10)

Bad boys can be alluring
In this latest entry in the Inspector Banks series, Banks' daughter Tracy finds herself mixed up with a "bad boy". The book is an entertaining police procedural with a personal touch. This was the first of Robinson's books that I have read although I have often heard of him. The book does stand alone, but I felt I missed a great deal by not being more familiar with the characters and their interaction.
Becky M. (Crumpler, NC) (07/17/10)

Personalities over Plot
How can I get across that this was a good novel, but not great; that I like the direction Robinson is going with his characters, but I'm not invested in them; that I enjoyed the twists and turns of the plot, but it wasn't hard to put the book down for several days at a time? Robinson is leading us away from Alan Banks--but maybe that's not so bad. Daughter Tracy and ex-lover/partner Annie are intriguing characters, and in their own way, add texture and dimension to Banks. I DID enjoy the complicated nature of Banks's relationship with Tracy and the emerging revived affection for Annie. Do you get the gist--that what appealed to me most were the personalities, not the story? I won't downplay the drama of the chase, the unique approach of the UK to gun control, and the surprise of the final showdown. But Robinson has written better Banks thrillers, and I'll be waiting for the next one.
Betty B. (Irving, TX) (07/17/10)

A great addition to this series
Bad Boy is Peter Robinson's 19th book in his series about Yorkshire's Inspector Banks. Fans of this series will not be disappointed in Bad Boy, which begins with Banks vacationing in Arizona and California, trying to put his life -- his job and his relationships--in better perspective. When he returns, jet-lagged, he is immediately thrown into a case involving his former partner and sometime lover, Annie Cabot, who has been shot and is in critical condition. To complicate matters more, he learns his daughter is somehow involved and is missing. Banks jumps in to find the man who shot Annie and to bring his daughter safely home. I've read most of the books in this series and enjoyed meeting the characters once again. I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy British police procedurals...this series is one of the best. I think the book also works well as a stand-alone, but the reader would miss the rich background that has been established in the earlier books.

• Book Jacket: Harmony
    A Gentleman in Moscow
    by Amor Towles

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review