Read what people think about Bad Boy by Peter Robinson, and write your own review.

An Inspector Banks Novel

by Peter Robinson

• Published in USA  Aug 2010
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 28 reader reviews for Bad Boy

Marjorie A. (32606, Florida) (07/11/10)

Bad Boy Misses the Mark
Bad Boy is the latest in a series of books by English author Peter Robinson featuring Chief Inspector Alan Banks. I specially enjoy mysteries so I was disappointed that the books seemed rather flat and the characters not engaging. Maybe I if I had read other books featuring Alan Banks it would have been like other series - seeing what he is up to now. I would not recommend this book to someone who likes mysteries.
Linda Z. (Corydon, IN) (07/11/10)

Bad Boy
There are 20 books in this series of Inspector Banks and I cannot believe that I have never read any until this one. I have now read 2 others in the series and am starting on the first one. My local public library has 6 of them and I shall have to check the used book stores for the remainder but I intend to read all 20. I do wish there would have been a physical description of Alan Banks but maybe I will find one in the older books. If you like British mysteries, do not miss this author. Lots of twists and turns!
Kristina G. (Aiken, SC) (07/10/10)

Bad Boy - detective story
"Bad Boy" is a well-written, fast-paced, fun read. The premise (a virtual SWAT team going to retrieve a gun from the home of people who knew the gun was to be given up, and were expecting the police) which starts the ball rolling, as well as a couple of other things which don't effect the story line (ie. a police officer being punished for shooting a serial murderer), will be difficult for American readers to identify with. Once into the story however, the plot thickens and the twists and turns are enough to keep any reader of detective novels satisfied.
Janet H. (Lakeland, FL) (07/09/10)

Loved this book!
I have enjoyed reading this series by Peter Robinson for years. I started with, "In a Dry Season", and that remains my favorite, but "Bad Boy" is excellent. Jaff is a villain whom you really hate, as is The Farmer. DCI Alan Banks is a wonderful character. By the last third of the book I could not stop reading until I turned the final page.
Christine B. (St Paul, MN) (07/09/10)

Good Girl- Bad Boy
I thoroughly enjoyed this crime/suspense novel. I had never read any of the earlier Inspector Banks series and I am so glad to have been introduced to them. In this fast paced and quick to read story Alan Banks is thrown into a mystery involving his own daughter - so of course the stakes are high! If you like suspense/police work/murder- this is a must read.
Gail L. (Maitland, FL) (07/08/10)

Fantastic Read
Unfortunately, I had never heard of Peter Robinson before choosing this book to read, but I will be purchasing all of his previous ones. I am so glad that there are 19 more books in this series to read.

The story held my attention from page 1 to the end. Alan Banks is my kind of protagonist and I'm glad I was introduced to him this way. Since his daughter was involved in the plot, I was able to experience the personal side of the man.

The characters were totally believable and I learned a great deal about the way the British police departments are run. There was a lot of explosive emotion, love, resentment and fear -- all of the elements that make up a great crime novel. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys crime novels.
Vivian Q. (Greer, SC) (07/07/10)

Terrific Surprise!
I hadn't realized that this book was part of a continuing series when I requested it. I prefer to read a series in order, and while this is the 19th entry in the Alan Banks series, I'm happy to say that it works very well as a stand alone book. I did not feel cheated that I didn't know any of the backstory for each character.

The story grabbed me from the first page and never let go. it is an outstanding example of a British police procedural with an interesting story line, believable characters, and solid police work.

I was so impressed with Peter Robinson's writing and his characters, that I picked up 10 of his earlier books over the weekend. Thanks BookBrowse, for the introduction to a terrific new author.

Very highly recommended for all lovers of crime fiction, mysteries and thrillers.
Dianne S. (Shelton, connecticut) (07/06/10)

Lacking Action and Excitment
I was a bit disappointed in this author and this book since I had heard so much about this author and had never read anything by him before.

This story had so much potential to be exciting and spine tingling and fell so far from the mark. Inspector Marks who I gather is the main character throughout the series, doesn't show up until more than half-way through, he has to deal with his daughters "abduction" and a close friend and past lovers shooting, yet he doesn't even crack a sweat. I know the English are stoics but this seems a little much.There is no action, no excitement, no mystery, What there IS a lot of is unnecessary and boring dialog. Unfortunately based on this book, that I will not be reading anything else by this author

• Book Jacket: Commonwealth
    I Contain Multitudes
    by Ed Yong

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review