Read what people think about Bad Boy by Peter Robinson, and write your own review.

An Inspector Banks Novel

by Peter Robinson

• Published in USA  Aug 2010
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 28 reader reviews for Bad Boy

Ray P. (Selden, NY) (07/16/10)

"Bad Boy" delivers!
As one character is quoted in the latest effort by British mystery writer, Peter Robinson: "A bad boy is unreliable, and sometimes he doesn't show up at all, or if he does, he's late and moody; he acts mean to you, and he leaves early. He always seems to have another iron in the fire, somewhere else to be." That's putting it mildly!

With his latest effort, "Bad Boy", Peter Robinson continues the outstanding Inspector Alan Banks series with a tense thriller that may be the most personal yet for D.I. Banks. The 'bad boy' in question has shot and seriously wounded a cop (Bank's oft partner) and is on the lam with Banks' daughter, Tracy, as hostage. What lengths will Banks go to and what allegiances need to be made to secure an acceptable end to this nightmare.

This novel, as with all of Robinson's work, if fast-paced and intense and never seems to let up. What I enjoy most about the Banks novels is how he continues to expand my appreciation of music as D.I. Banks possesses one of the most eclectic CD collections of any fictional character in modern literature and always keeps me abreast of the latest and greatest on the music scene. Well done!
Betsy R. (Gig Harbor, WA) (07/14/10)

Bad Boy
Although some background knowledge about the main character Inspector Banks and also about the way the British police operate (which might explain the way the gun was handled in the beginning) would be helpful, this new installment in this series is still a well-written and fast paced story. It falls slightly more into the thriller category than actual mystery, though, with the "chase" element. The development of both Banks and his daughter Tracy does add to the depth of the book. I would recommend it.
Power Reviewer Jane N. (Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey) (07/14/10)

Bad Boy done Right
This is a great read and a wonderful "who dun it!" I especially enjoyed the female police detective. All of the characters are well developed and the plot line is well though out. This is the first time I have read this author and I know that I will be reading more from him. He is a great find for anyone who enjoys British mysteries!
Anne G. (Byram, MS) (07/14/10)

Bad Boy by Peter Robinson Is Another Winner!
The latest Peter Robinson book featuring DCI Alan Banks is a diversion from the usual Banks investigation into a murder mystery. This novel is primarily a highly entertaining chase and pursuit when Banks enters the hunt for the Bad Boy. All the familiar characters from the Eastvale Precinct are here: DI Annie Cabot, DC Winsome Jackman, Det. Superintendent Gervaise and others that readers will remember.

Characterizations are brilliant, the dialogue is superb, and sense of place is established early on. A central theme asks what happens when all communication breaks down between a mother, a father, and a daughter? Readers are left to ponder the question that so many parents ask themselves every day and wonder what might have been "if only". The chase for Bad Boy starts off slow, builds speed, adds the element of danger to a Banks' family member, and races to a deadly finish that will keep readers up late at night to finish this book. Highly recommended!
Donna Sue D. (EATON, OHIO) (07/13/10)

BAD BOY
I did enjoy this book. It was a little hard for me to follow some slang or abbreviations since it took place in England. It would make for an exciting movie!
Bonnie B. (Fairbanks, AK) (07/13/10)

A Weak Mystery in the Detective Banks Series
This mystery is part of the Detective Banks series. However, it is by far not one of the best. The story is about a 'bad boy' who tries to pull a heist on a conglomerate of 'badder boys'. Tracy Banks, Detective Alan Banks' daughter has been involved with Jaff, the bad boy, and gets herself into a situation where she becomes his hostage. Banks and his team work to find Jaff and free Tracy. The writing, as usual is quite good. However, the plot has a lot of holes in it and the characterizations and motives are weak.
Norman G. (Diamond Bar, (07/13/10)

Excellent story hero missing
I always enjoy books by Peter Robinson and this one was no exception. The storyline held my interest and the minor characters were well drawn. However, the series lead, Alan Banks, came across as fairly insufferable as did the British system of justice. Issues were overly black and white and made American law enforcement seem idyllic. Plot excellent but main characters missing emotional connection (for me).
Cynthia B. (Puyallup, WA) (07/12/10)

Bad Boy
This story ramps up the action nicely with clearly defined heroes and villains. Interesting contrast between American gun laws vs. British as well as the criminal investigation process. For new readers to Peter Robinson, "Bad Boy" may not be the best place to start as there are many references to DCI Banks' previous adventures however, this latest installment is a captivating thrill ride and will certainly whet your appetite for more.

• Book Jacket: Here I Am

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review