Read what people think about One Day by David Nicholls, and write your own review.

One Day by David Nicholls

• Published in USA  May 2011

There are currently 4 reader reviews for One Day

Power Reviewer Cloggie Downunder (07/31/13)

a marvellous novel
One Day is the third novel by British author, screenwriter, and actor, David Nicholls. The day referred to in the title is St. Swithin’s Day, July 15th, and the narration describes what is happening in the lives of two people, Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley, each year on that day as well as referring to significant events of the preceding year. Emma and Dexter are first encountered on the day after their graduation and are followed through twenty years of life: relationships, career highs and lows, personal crises, addictions, weddings, marriages, divorces, extramarital affairs, parenthood, resounding successes and abysmal failures, loss of significant family members, loneliness, cohabitation and physical ageing all feature. Apart from straight narration, Nicholls uses letters (sent and unsent), poems, phone messages and newspaper articles to tell the story, and he cleverly creates the feel of the period with songs, books, movies, TV shows, world affairs, politics and sports. It all feels very real. Dexter and Emma have lots of depth and appeal; the supporting characters are likewise interesting. Nicholls manages to evoke plenty of laughter, but also tears (occasionally at the same time!) as well as groans and sighs. He also packs a punch that will leave the reader gasping. This is a marvellous novel that will have readers searching out other works by David Nicholls.
Sharon G. (10/13/11)

One Day
The story of Emma and Dexter is complicated and very, very sad. They never seemed happy throughout the book, even when they were together. There were a few funny moments, but most of it was depressing.

If you want to read a book about immaturity and bad relationships this is the one for you.
Power Reviewer Shyeyes (09/19/11)

One Day by David Nicholls
This book starts out in the late 80's with Emma & Dexter having a romantic interlude the day after their commencement. They each thought of each other over the years, the what-ifs. The author takes us to each of them on July 15th every year after their initial meeting til 2007. We see what their lives have become. Will they meet again? A great story about star-crossed lovers.
someone (03/02/11)

wow
I cried lots, but I totally loved the book. It's amazing!!!!!

• Book Jacket: All Our Wrong Todays

The Atomic Weight of Love
by Elizabeth J. Church

Lola
    by Melissa Scrivner Love

An astonishing debut crime thriller about an unforgettable woman.

Our Short History
    by Lauren Grodstein

If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves

O My D B