Read what people think about Death Echo by Elizabeth Lowell, and write your own review.

• Published in USA  Jun 2010
    Genre: Romantic Suspense

There are currently 25 reader reviews for Death Echo

Carol G. (Little Egg Harbor, NJ) (07/12/10)

Death Echo
Although I enjoy Lowell's books as they are usually good, light reading, 'Death Echo' was too similar to some of her other St Kilda books. The story was too basic, not much tension created and weak character involvement. It is a fast read for easy summer reading. I will still continue to read her in the future but may be a little more discriminating about which books I choose to read.
Power Reviewer Chris W. (Temple City, CA) (07/11/10)

fast read
This is a suspenseful page turner with likable main characters, "bad guys," and interagency conflict. The intrigue, the descriptions of the scenery in the Pacific Northwest, and the details about yachting were enjoyable, and I learned quite a bit. The romantic attraction was a little too instant. The book was entertaining and a fast read. I liked the short chapters and would enjoy another novel with the same main characters. I wouldn't recommend it for book club discussions.
Jenny P. (Cupertino, CA) (07/07/10)

Death Echo
This book was a fun, entertaining suspenseful reader. The format of the story playing out over only a week led to a lot of action playing out very quickly. At times, it was difficult to believe that the major characters could work together and trust each other so quickly and there were times when it was necessary to just suspend disbelief and keep reading ! It was however, a well written, believable story and the many twists and turns held my interest right to the end. This book would appeal to any one who likes a fast paced thriller with a little romance thrown in for good measure. The plot hung together well and the twist at the end was pretty clever.
Brenda S. (Grand Rapids, MN) (07/02/10)

A Book That's Easy to Put Down
Although there was a good story between the covers, the interaction between the characters became annoying and redundant. I'm not sure how many ways there are to describe some shiny white teeth, but Elizabeth Lowell gave it her best shot.

The story line was difficult to follow if the sea is not your first passion. I found the plot confusing but worth trying to figure out.

I would read another story by Ms. Lowell; hopefully, something on terra firma.
Gail B. (Albuquerque, NM) (07/02/10)

Old Fashioned Spy Story
Death Echo has just enough sex and intrigue to make it an exciting page-turner. Emma Cross is fed up with the gamesmanship of working for the CIA but is drawn back into what becomes the adventure of her life as she meets professional sailor, ex-Seal MacKenzie Durand. An interesting mix of superb seamanship, modern technology and just a touch of MacIver, and the pair takes on the dangers of the deep to save each other and thousands of innocents from former U.S.S.R. bad guys. Just what you'd expect from an old fashioned spy story -- an adventurous, quick summer read.
Marilyn J. (Harvey, ND) (06/27/10)

Death Echo
Having never read another of Elizabeth Lowell's books, I didn't know what to expect so expected nothing. That's kind of what I got. There were so many characters that I couldn't keep track of who they were, where they were from, and for whom they worked. Emma and Mac, the protagonists, were underdeveloped. They engaged in some snappy dialogue, however, and finally, after much talk and teasing, acted on their attraction for each other. Most of the exciting stuff happened in the last few pages, but prior to that it was a rather ho-hum story with more than ample boat talk and confusing espionage. This might be a good book for readers who like boats, water, and spies, but it was not engrossing to me. I felt lost and confused most of the time.
Samantha H. (Golden, CO) (06/27/10)

Death Echo - Fast paced enjoyable read
Death Echo by Elizabeth Lowell is a fast paced suspense novel that really delivers. The main characters are well developed, and very likable (although maybe a bit over the top -- both very good looking, smart, strong, talented...). The plot was complex and kept me guessing until the end. I enjoyed how the developing relationship between the two main characters was mixed in with the action, to lighten the mood. This was a very entertaining read, and I had trouble putting it down.
Liz (South Pasadena, CA) (06/27/10)

Death Echo sadly fails the test
While this is meant to be a light read, flaws in the time line and character development seriously impede a reader’s pleasure. In Death Echo, the reader is expected to believe that a private consulting firm accepts a request by some government agency to chase down a yacht that is going to somehow destroy a major US city using biological, chemical, or fissionable methods. The selected agent, our heroine, Emma is given the assignment on the spot at 9 AM in Manhattan. By the afternoon of the same day she is on a Zodiac in Puget Sound, Washington. No mention was made of magic carpets or even private jets. Later she manages to link up with a handsome partner on the yacht in question. Our couple is attracted to each other instantly. They have a hard time keeping focused on the tasks at hand; and the dialogue between the two of them is contrived and too cute for words. About half way through the book the plot picks up and there are some interesting story line twists. This book needs some editorial help.

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

I always find it more difficult to say the things I mean than the things I don't.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: