Read what people think about Savage Lands by Clare Clark, and write your own review.

Savage Lands

by Clare Clark

Savage Lands by Clare Clark X
Savage Lands by Clare Clark

• Published in USA  Feb 2010
    Genre: Historical Fiction

There are currently 18 reader reviews for Savage Lands

Josephine J. (Goshen, CT) (11/27/09)

Excellent historical novel
Savage Lands is a beautifully written (almost poetic) story of the early days of Louisiana. Set in the early 1700s, we learn about the French settlers, their relation to the land and to the "savages" that they encounter, befriend, fight, and enslave. The two main characters, Elisabeth and Auguste are finely drawn, fully realized characters, based on real people. Anyone who likes historical fiction will be sure to be intrigued by this compelling story.
Shirley S. (Batavia, IL) (11/25/09)

Savage Lands
A vividly detailed historic perspective and beautifully written saga of early Louisiana. Though the story is predictable, the characters come alive through the enjoyable writing style. The intensely personal description of not only the people but the time and place make reading the detailed history a pleasure rather than a lesson.
Clark is dispassionate about the history revealing what happen to the territory, the natives and the settlers with equal voice.

The Last Ballad
    by Wiley Cash
    The Graybar Hotel
    by Curtis Dawkins
  • Book Jacket: We Own the Sky
    We Own the Sky
    by Luke Allnutt
    Rob and Anna Coates have an idyllic life together; they have successful careers, love each other ...
  • Book Jacket: Some Trick
    Some Trick
    by Helen DeWitt
    In this erudite collection of 13 stories, Helen DeWitt explores the theme of stymied creativity, ...

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Rules of Magic

Win up to 12 copies for you & your book club!

The spellbinding prequel to Alice Hoffman's bestselling Practical Magic.

M T G Before I S