Read what people think about La's Orchestra Saves the World by Alexander McCall Smith, and write your own review.

La's Orchestra Saves the World

by Alexander McCall Smith

La's Orchestra Saves the World by Alexander McCall Smith

• Published in USA  Dec 2009

There is 1 reader review for La's Orchestra Saves the World

Power Reviewer Cloggie Downunder (06/05/11)

Heartwarming
La’s Orchestra Saves the World is a stand-alone novel by Alexander McCall-Smith. It is set around the time of the Second World War in England. Lavender Stone (La to her friends) leaves London for a Suffolk village in the wake of a disastrous marriage. When the war starts, she becomes a part of the small community in her village. She sets up an orchestra which brings the village and the men on the nearby airbase together and gives them some hope for the future. She also meets Feliks, a shy Polish pilot who has an unexpected effect on her. For me, this book somehow has the feel of Mary Ann Shaffer’s Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, perhaps because it is set in the same time period. The end seemed to be headed for a let-down, but the last page was a pleasant surprise. As with all Alexander McCall-Smith’s books, filled with gentle philosophy: it was a joy to read.

Discover your next great read here

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

Manderley Forever
    by Tatiana de Rosnay

Bestselling author Tatiana de Rosnay pays homage to Daphne du Maurier.

The Stars Are Fire
    by Anita Shreve

We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those we don't like?

Y S M B, I'll S Y