Read what people think about Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran, and write your own review.

by Michelle Moran

• Published in USA  Sep 2009
    Genre: Historical Fiction

There are currently 18 reader reviews for Cleopatra's Daughter

Pamela F. (Grants Pass, OR) (09/16/09)

Cleopatra's Daughter
The only reason I did not give this 5 stars is because it took me 100 pages to get into the book. I don't know why...but it did. I loved this book. I always enjoy a historical novel that teaches me something and this one does and has a compelling story as well. I had a hard time leaving the characters and I would advise going to the author's website to read more about the book so that you get some further insight to the time & the characters. She also has pictures of ancient Rome that connect you more to the people and the times. This book has made me interested in reading about the times ..and I will re-view "I, Claudius" as a result...to me THAT is a good read, one that makes me thirstier for more information of the times.
Connie (MI) (09/14/09)

Cleopatra's Daughter
This book is the story of the lives of Cleopatra's children after her death. Being a fan of historical fiction, especially this time period, I was really looking forward to reading this book and was not disappointed. I have already recommended it to friends and look forward to reading this author's other books.
Christine S. (Highland, UT) (09/12/09)

Great Read!
I enjoyed this historical novel very much. I had little knowledge about Cleopatra's children and each page was an education. Entertaining throughout, the story it told was never boring. The list of characters in the front was a big help, along with the glossary of Greek/Roman terms. I would have had a very different review without these most valuable help guides. The author thought of everything - including getting me very interested in learning more about this ancient time period. Loved the ending!
Elizabeth H. (Walnut Creek, CA) (09/10/09)

Cleopatra's Daughter
Once again, as in Nefertiti, Michelle Moran brings ancient history to life. This story is told by Selene, Cleopatra's daughter. It starts with the defeat of Marc Antony's army in Egypt, and takes us to Rome where Selene and her brother Alexander are taken as captives. The culture of Rome at that time is brought vividly to life. Through Selene's eyes, we see what it was like to be a young person growing up in the household of Octavia, Octavian's sister. It was a time of danger and intrigue. I couldn't put this book down.
Maggie P. (Redmond, WA) (09/09/09)

Historical fiction at it's finest
Michelle Moran is a very clever writer. Her use in this book of a first person point of view gives the reader a more intimate feel of the story. I would recommend this book to any one. The book has just enough history to keep it interesting and not bore you with too much information. Michelle Moran did a great job writing the book and I know you'll enjoy it.
Patricia S. (Chicago, IL) (09/08/09)

Cleopatra's Daughter
Set in the years immediately following Queen Cleopatra's death, this book follows her daughter and surviving son through the twisting politics of early Imperial Rome. Impressive characterization and settings add to the attraction of an underused time period for historical novels.
Martha L. (Warner, NH) (09/04/09)

Selene, the princess of Egpt
This is a great read if you enjoy historical fiction from ancient times or if you have ever wondered about living in Rome.The main character, Selene was Cleopatra's daughter. MIchelle Moran used actual facts woven into the story seamlessly.

Cleopatra and Marc Anthony had children together. After Egypt was invaded two of those children, Selene and her twin brother Alexander were captured and brought back to Rome. The story revolves around the years 30-25 BC and is told from Selene's viewpoint.

Selene's life as a captive in a foreign court is fascinating.The story line was mixed with with facts and incredible details from research on that time period. The lives of the senators and the ruler Octavian was filled with intrigue and constantly changing loyalties. The plot and subplots and twists were one of the strong features of the book. The book read easily.
Valerie C. (Chico, CA) (09/01/09)

An Engaging Tale
Cleopatra's Daughter is an engaging tale of the life of Selene and her brother Alexander after the death of her mother, Cleopatra, and Marc Anthony. There are great insights into Roman life during this time, as well as informative history.

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

The longest journey of any person is the journey inward

The Big Holiday Wordplay: