Read what people think about Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, and write your own review.

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

• Published in USA  Oct 1999

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Speak

briteny (05/11/13)

Speak
In my opinion, this novel was exceptional. I recommend it to any person who enjoys mystery/fiction/real life stories. I rate this book with three stars. The reason is because the chapters get a little boring after a while. But as soon as you think it can’t get better something unexpected happens and it reels you back in to its taunting pages.
Rachel D. (02/21/10)

Book Review for 'Speak' by Laurie Halse Anderson
I read Speak as part of a school literature circle book and I enjoyed it. I would recommend this book to the age group of 12-16, because the theme, (to my surprise) is a little bit more mature, yet it's at an easier reading level.
The book is about a girl, Melinda, who stops speaking at school. At first, it's a big mystery why Melinda is mute, but then as the story goes on the mystery unravels and you understand. In Speak there is a very strong theme and lesson that in taught, that you always need to speak up and be heard.
I thought Speak was a good book throughout the beginning and middle, but I felt that Laurie Halse Anderson rushed the end and the explanations towards the end of the book. I think she should have stretched out the end and made it more surprising for the reader.
Laurie Halse Anderson writes through the voice of Melinda, and Melinda's opinions. This writing technique turned out to be funny and enjoyable, because Melinda's insights and opinions were really funny and kept you wondering what Melinda was going to think next.
So, if you're up for a funny and meaningful book about the difficult times of being a teenager, pick up Speak. What are you waiting for?

• Book Jacket: Hillbilly Elegy

The Atomic Weight of Love
by Elizabeth J. Church

Mercies in Disguise
    by Gina Kolata

A story of hope, a family's genetic destiny, and the science that rescued them.

Our Short History
    by Lauren Grodstein

We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are

O My D B