MLA Gold Award Site

Read what people think about The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton, and write your own review.

The Forgotten Garden

by Kate Morton

The Forgotten Garden

• Published in USA  Apr 2009

There are currently 12 reader reviews for The Forgotten Garden

Eileen Ubillos (06/28/10)

A Wonderful Read
This book has everything, catapulting the reader from the early 1900s to the present in a back and forth way that is very clever, never confusing, although I do have to pause now and then to get the people straight. I loved the characters, the plot, the thrill of reading something hard to put down, and not wanting to end. We have a Booktalk at the Largo FL Library once a month and the facilitator cautiously chose this book last month wondering if it would be too confusing for us to swallow. Not at all. Now I can't wait to read her first novel. Beautifully done, really!!
Elizabeth (06/27/10)

Masterful writing
Loved it...absolutely amazing....the writing is a masterpiece.

All the mysteries and secrets of the Mountrachet family are revealed....the ending is superb.

The story goes back and forth in time telling the story of how little Nell was put on a boat to Australia without an adult and how the portmaster and his wife in Australia took her in as their own. Nell's life makes a complete turn around for her when her father tells her on her 21st birthday that she isn't really his child.

The book tells of the generations before and after Nell. It is masterfully written...you don't want to put it down until you find out who Nell really is and until you find all the secrets about how she arrived on the boat and in Australia and the significance of the forgotten garden....the garden plays a huge part in the unraveling of the secrets and mysteries in the book.

I usually don't re-read books, but I would re-read this just to be sure I "got" all the facts straight...it was just fantastic....the story was very clever and the characters unforgettable....I didn't want the book to end
Dana (05/27/10)

Great Read
Even though the story flows through three generations simultaneously, Ms Morton has managed to keep the book totally readable and not at all confusing. This is one of those books that I was sad to see end. I wish I had a great mystery in my family history to explore!
Brenda Lybarger (02/05/10)

a trip through time
I found my self completely immersed in this book. So much so that it took a couple of days after reading it to come completely back to reality. The characters were not perfect, but real. The story took place over several years, but everything was tied together and was not confusing. I can't wait to read Ms Moton's next book

• Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun