MLA Gold Award Site

Read what people think about My Own Country by Abraham Verghese, and write your own review.

My Own Country

A Doctor's Story

by Abraham Verghese

My Own Country

• Published in USA  Apr 1995
    Genre: Biographies & Memoirs

There is 1 reader review for My Own Country

Doraflora (06/06/11)

A inspiring but extremely poorly written autobiography
My book club opted to read this true account of a doctor coping with AIDS victims in the early years of its detection. I found the doctor's style stultifying, monotonous and difficult to cope with. I am a prolific reader but this book stymied me. The style was onerous, burdensome, boring, filled with tedious descriptions and lacking much action or conversation among the participants.
Dr. Veerghese has a way with words, mostly vivid descriptions of his surroundings, but making passage through the text, an ordeal.
I struggled valiantly to endure, put the book down and then tried again several times to struggle through it, finally giving up. In total frustration.
The subject matter and his experiences could have been riveting. Instead it was impossible to complete. Much more vigorous editing, much less description of inoccuous surroundings,etc. and much more drama is required, in my humble opinion.

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk