MLA Gold Award Site

Read what people think about It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time by Moira Hodgson, and write your own review.

It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

My Adventures in Life and Food

by Moira Hodgson

It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

• Published in USA  Jan 2009
    Genre: Biographies & Memoirs

There are currently 16 reader reviews for It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

Anne (07/22/08)

An interesting life
I liked this book very much. Possibly because many of the author's experiences paralleled my own. She has a knack for bringing places and times vividly alive in her writing. However, I doubt this book will appeal to a large audience because of the time period. Set in somewhat "mainstream" 50s, 60s, and 70s, the author had an interesting life, but not a fascinating one. I imagine women of a "certain age" would like this book, as I did.
Diane Dickinson (07/20/08)

Not such a good idea....
Being a foodie, I was all set to enjoy a book about Moira Hodgson's adventures in life and food, but I was disappointed. I found her writing to be shallow and disjointed. Unlike Ruth Reichl's books in which I became engrossed in the food and the surroundings, Hodgson did not seduce me into caring where she was or what she was eating. She's obviously led a very interesting life, but falls short of involving her readers.
Penny (07/20/08)

This memoir covers epicurian delights...
Along with travel and other escapades of life. The author rehashes her life in a way that makes the reader hungry for more. The memories are wonderful. Next thing you're trying to guess what's coming up on the menu or what the next recipe is. Stories served up from Great Britain, the Middle East, boarding school and Vietnam are only hints of this banquet of living. At times wordy the reader will still crave more.
Marie (07/10/08)

It Seemed Like a Good Idea At The Time
Hodgson takes her readers on an adventurous trip to the many countries she lives in and travels to and along the way introduces us to the culinary traditions (with recipes) from the various areas. She is adept at weaving descriptions of her experiences, places, incidents, and individuals together, thus making this memoir an interesting, enjoyable read.
Eileen (07/08/08)

5 stars if you are a foodie
An entertaining book about the role food has played in one woman's life. It would have been an even more compelling read had she revealed more about the other people in her life and how they influenced her. An adventurous book club could easily have a potluck dinner using the intriguing recipes included in the book. A mouth-watering discussion would be sure to follow.
Power Reviewer Beverly (07/06/08)

echoes of Ruth Reichl
What a life ! I love reading about food and the associated memories Ms.Hodgson shares her unusual early years, growing up all over the world, while telling stories of family, friends and travel AND includes recipes. She has a breezy, casual style that makes this book an easy read.
Lois (07/05/08)

Would you eat snails?
Well Moira Hodgson did and to find out about how she thought about them you are going to have to read; "It Seemed Like a Good Idea At The Time". [Personally, I've never had the "pleasure" or should I say "horror". So far I'm keeping an open mind.]

I feel this book should have given more information about the people, places, and yes, even the food. The writing is "choppy" and just doesn't flow for me. However, I suppose this being a memoir, it is to be expected to have something of a diary quality to it? I didn't care for the way people would pop in from nowhere and then disappear without any comment. I feel authors who use phases or quotes from other languages other than English need to assist the reader by offering clues in the context at the very least. I guess I am just an old fussy woman, but oh well!.

All that being said, I already recommended the book to two or three of my friends and relatives who are into Traveling, Food, and By-Gone-Days of The Steam Ships. A delightfully entertaining book. Do not let my opinion about the writing put you off this is a great read, especially if you like to read about food, watch the Food Network, or eat!
Patricia (07/02/08)

It Seemed Like A Good Idea at the Time
From England to Vietnam and places in between and beyond, this was an informative, and mostly fun, book to read. Writing about her adventures with her family, friends and solo were very good and Ms. Hodgson was adept at bringing her reader along with her. Her obvious knowledge of and devotion to food and its history and preparation will appeal to foodies (and make them hungry). My criticism would be that there are some parts of the book that warrant more background, detail and/or explanation but all in all, it was a book that I would recommend to readers who love travel and food adventures.

• Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...
  • Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun