Read what people think about The Seer of Shadows by Avi, and write your own review.

The Seer of Shadows

by Avi

The Seer of Shadows

There is 1 reader review for The Seer of Shadows

LuLu (11/13/12)

Best Eva!!
What would you do if you were the cause of paranormal activity? Horace was just a young boy, in his teens, when the day he went to go take pictures of the dead daughter of Mrs. Von Macht, turned into the reincarnation of Eleanora’s spirit. Horace worked at a small photography shop, as the apprentice of Enoch Middleditch. Who wanted nothing more then money. So when the maiden in black arrive one day who is later on known as Mrs. Von Macht, Mr. Middleditch decided to take pictures of Eleanora and than paste them in to the pictures of her grave. So that when it was time to give Mrs. Von Macht the picture she would cry with tears of joy to see her daughter one last time. But every time Horace took a picture of Eleanora her ghost appeared and swore that she “Will have her revenge!” Every time Horace spends more time with Pegg (Eleanora’s Sister) who is now a servant there loves buds and the knowledge of Eleanora’s past grows. Until the point were it was almost too late to save Eleanora.
I do not know why I chose this story to read. I normally read fantasy or nonfiction. But it was worth it, I spent a whole night in summer just reading it! I started t read at seven o’clock and finished reading around four a.m. This book was like a riding a roller coaster with your eyes closed, never knowing when you are going to go down or up. At every turn I wanted to read more and more. Once the ride was over I felt like reading it again! I would run a mile to get this book!
Avi had described as if Horace was his own son. He was a character you would fall in love with, he is the person a lot of boys would want to be. Even though he isn’t tuff and has no fighting skills, this boy is brave and independent. Mr. Middleditch is a greedy coward, when things get tuff he packs his bags and goes running for the hills. Pegg is a timid yet clever fourteen year old African girl who serves Mr. and Mrs. Von Macht. Mr. and Mrs. Von Macht are two ingenerate, snotty rich parents.
Avi wrote this story with an open mind and a great way with words. Each sentence was ice in an ice rink. Smooth. There wasn’t a word that didn’t fit in that book. The book in my opinion should be read by almost everyone because it’s thrilling, action packed and different. It’s like that feeling in the morning when you know exactly what to wear but Avi is the designer and each chapter is an article of clothing and the story is an outfit. This outfit would win Project Run way, for sure! He uses just the right accessories (adjectives) with his outfit.
If I could recommend this to a specific age group I would say 11 to 13 year olds as the minimal because it has some old English words and because some parts get pretty scary. I personally would recommend this to people who like to read fiction because it’s a change. I like to read ghost stories now because of the book. And I am pretty sure that if readers like fiction like me that this book would move students to read different genres. So if 11-13 year olds would pick this up they would not be able to put it down!

• Book Jacket: A Gentleman in Moscow
    Night of the Animals
    by Bill Broun

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review