Read what people think about How to Build a House by Dana Reinhardt, and write your own review.

by Dana Reinhardt

• Published in USA  May 2008

There are currently 15 reader reviews for How to Build a House

Sophia (03/16/08)

WOW!! I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!
Hey my name's Sophia I'm 13 and I LOVED THIS BOOK!! I finished this book really quickly because once I got past the first chapter or so i couldn't put it down! I liked the character Harper because I thought she was very down to earth. I thought it was really suspenseful and also really funny a lot of times. I think this would make good discussion for a bookclub because people can discuss what was going on with Harper and her family life and all that stuff that this book focused on. the only thing I was disappointed with was that I didn't like how it ended but I won't say why because I don't want to be a spoiler!! :) all in all great book!!!
Sam, 15 years old (03/16/08)

Great Young Adult Book
How To Build A House is the newest novel by critically acclaimed author, Dana Reinhardt. The story follows our heroine, Harper, as she struggles with love, family, loyalty and most of all, her own life. This is the second book by Ms. Reinhardt that I have read recently and I must say, I really enjoyed this book. The concept of her stories and her distinctive writing style are very appealing and in my opinion, best shown in this novel. I would recommend this book for mature teens from 14 to 17 years old.
Alex (03/13/08)

A Good Book
My name is Alex and I'm 13. I really liked this book because it was very funny and emotional. I know what it is like to have your parents divorce.
Amber Sizemore (03/10/08)

How to Build a House
When I first heard the name of this book, I didn't think I would like it. The more I read, however, the more I came to love it! It was the kind of book you just can't put down. I'm 15 years old and How to Build a House really inspired me to go out and make a difference in the world I live in. My eyes were opened to the fact that even when things aren't going as planned, there's always someone fighting a harder battle than mine. There's always someone in need of help and even teenagers can make a difference.
Patricia (aged 13) (03/09/08)

Kept me on the edge of my seat
Harper's dad is getting a divorce from her stepmother , Jane. Just when Tarper thought that nothing could get worse , Tarper has lost her stepsister Tess because to divorce divides them.

To escape this terrible nightmare Tarper signs up to a volunteer program to build a house for a family in Tennessee that lost their home in a tornado.

This book kept me on the edge of my seat and always entertained me. I will recommend this book to all ages.
Lindsey (03/02/08)

I loved this book!
I really, really enjoyed this book. I read it in a day. I liked the main character, Harper. As a high school student, I could relate to her - stickler for the rules, control freak, feel like you're missing out on something when you're not with your friends. I would recommend this book to other high school age kids, and I even think adults that have kids would enjoy it. I don't really think it is a book club read. I don't think this is a spoiler, but I personally wish the book had ended differently. That is my only complaint.
Jen Ward (03/01/08)

Tolerable, but not great
After finishing How to Build a House, I can safely sum it up in the word ‘alright’. While it is touching, can be sad, and has a good message at the end, at times I found Harper’s behavior unrealistic. For the sake of not spoiling the plot I won’t mention any examples, but she does a lot of things that aren’t explained, which then left me confused.

I did like the plot, however; the idea of it was touching, as I had said. It’s a good story of overcoming hardships and repairing relationships. But, Harper’s actions aren’t the only ones I found unrealistic. Teddy’s were sometimes too, along with a good handful of the other characters’. I didn’t get a very deep connection with them like I usually do, who also sometimes didn’t act as strongly towards certain things as much as I believe they should have.

But, maybe that’s just me being critical; at 17, I know how kids my age can react. Overall, I’d say that it is a good story for the bookworm looking for something new, but I don’t think it’ll make the best seller’s list.

• Book Jacket: Here I Am

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review