Read what people think about Devil's Peak by Deon Meyer, and write your own review.

Devil's Peak

Genre: Mysteries

There is 1 reader review for Devil's Peak

Michael Haughton

Devil's Peak by Deon Meyer
In the first chapter I noticed the writer started off with two characters, both meeting or sitting down at a table with a carton box in front them on it. But what stood out for me was the phrases the writer used to describe the female clothing and make up. I was not pleased with the writer saying "her make up was light, delicately down playing the fullness of her mouth." I got the impression that she was eating when in fact the writer didn't give that in writing so it should have been: fullness of lips.This was my first observation of the writer's misquoted phrasing.

I'm always certain that when a writer uses other languages apart from English but do not express it the right ways in English they will always lose the readers' interest. As not many readers care for a foreign language. The writer did not think his way through right when he used this African word (Liene Genade) and it was disappointing. There was no interpretation other than a two word the next line (sweet mercy) that made me guess if that was it.And that was poor writing skills from the writer.

In chapter two I was further disappointed. I always see writers making these simple but huge mistakes in there writing.The use of big words can alter or make worse the story line as this word did in this line "First shot. It reverberated through the quiet of the early evening" and this should be "It echoed through the quietness of the early evening" This affected my ratings negatively for this book.

A writers responsibility is not to speculate in his story.That is a big turn off for me and you did just that in this line."kitchen cupboard door were broken or ajar" no no no it has to be both so it should be and between and not or.This will affect my ratings.

"He move sluggishly.feeling the emotion pressing against him" this line also was poorly done because of big words.It should be " he moved little by little feeling the feeling pressing against him" this is so depressing to me as the writer lose with simple errors.

The only mystery I had was with the box. what exactly was in it and that had my mind in a world twisted wind. I must say that was kinda a plus for the writer that i could look forward to give a review ratings with some positive grading in mind. Rated 2 out of 5

• Book Jacket: Gateway to the Moon
    Gateway to the Moon
    by Mary Morris
    Miguel Torres is a teenager living in Entrada de la Luna, a poverty-stricken dot on the New Mexico ...
  • Book Jacket: New World, Inc.
    New World, Inc.
    by Simon Targett, John Butman
  • Book Jacket: New World, Inc.
    New World, Inc.
    by Simon Targett, John Butman
  • Book Jacket: The Ensemble
    The Ensemble
    by Aja Gabel

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

Anatomy of a Miracle