Read what people think about The Critic by Peter May, and write your own review.

The Second of the Enzo Files

by Peter May

• Published in USA  Nov 2007
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 17 reader reviews for The Critic

Connie (11/11/07)

The Critic
Murder in wine country in France leaves you wondering from the first page who was killing these people and preserving their bodies in wine; and the ultimate question, why. The answer, of course, is not revealed till the end, but the murderer and the reason why are very much unexpected. A good read and enlightening on the art of wine making and its intricacies; and another stalker is lurking in the shadows to get to Enzo another day.
Emily (11/11/07)

The Critic
The Critic by Peter May is the second mystery featuring Enzo Mcleod, Scottish forensic investigator and professor. Entertaining and also informative, the story line is fast-paced and packed with action. The characters are a good assortment of diverse personalities. Along the way, the readers picks up a treasurey of knowledge about the production of wine and the world-wide rivalries which are part of the industry - rivalries, in the experience of Enzo, lead to murder more than once. Another feature which will please many readers is the puzzle-solving element and breaking of a code. Pour yourself a glass of wine and
enjoy a good read as you follow Enzo in a French vineyard.
Cheryl (11/10/07)

Have a glass of wine...
In Peter May's second Enzo MacLeod The Critic, the mystery plays second fiddle to the techniques of the wine making industry. Despite two murders and several attempts on the main character's life, the book does not really become intense until the end. It is well written and an enjoyable read, but the early pace is rather slow. This reader was particularly upset by an incident of animal abuse that did not move the story forward. On the other hand, Enzo's attempt to smuggle soil samples on the plane to the US was quite amusing.
Shirley (11/07/07)

The Criitic
The Critic will be enjoyed especially by those who know wines and are interested in their production. The setting is splendid. The plot and the characters could be introduced sooner and I think the characters need more development. Once the plot begins, giving shorter descriptions of the surroundings would help to keep it moving. The Critic will delight readers who love wine. A very enjoyable novel.
Pamela (11/05/07)

The Critic
While I did have a little trouble with the few French words used, I enjoyed reading this book. I learned a few new French words and a little about the world of winetasting: the fragrance, taste, etc. I almost wished I drank wine. Enzo is very thorough in his investigation and a very delightful man.
Kathy (11/04/07)

The Critic, by Peter May
I really enjoyed this mystery despite being somewhat annoyed by the way the women characters were described. It imparts really interesting information about wines, wineries, wine-tasting and a completely different region of France than usually written about without taking away from the mystery and the plot.
Gerald (10/30/07)

A Wine-Lover's Mystery
I am not a wine aficionado and could care less about the wine-making process or the nuances of wine tasting. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed this well crafted mystery. Enzo MacLeod is one of the most unusual crime solvers I have ever met; sort of a cross between James Bond and Inspector Clouseau. The characters are well developed and the plot moves along at a rapid pace. Despite the seriousness of the story there are even a few moments of falling down laughing humor. For wine lovers a 5; and a 4 for the rest of us.
Eileen (10/30/07)

Mystery and wine
The Critic is a good read. the plot keeps you turning the pages and the characters keep you interested in the resolution. There is a lot of information about the French wine industry, which I enjoyed. This may not be for book clubs but would be enjoyed by mystery readers.

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    The Mothers
    by Brit Bennett

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.