Read what people think about Signed Mata Hari by Yannick Murphy, and write your own review.

by Yannick Murphy

• Readers' rating:

• Published in USA  Nov 2007
    Genre: Historical Fiction

There are currently 16 reader reviews for Signed Mata Hari

Monte (01/03/08)

signed mata hari
The world's view of Mata Hari as a spy and seductress is challenged in this interesting "point of view" novel. Poetic in its language, it provides all the elements of an outstanding and persuasive defense closing argument. Tracing a life that leads to her inevitable end, but swept by currents beyond her control - or often, beyond her understanding - this book will pull you in. Plan to settle comfortably and enjoy the read.
Michele (12/12/07)

Signed Mata Hari
I enjoyed this book, especially because I knew the "name" Mata Hari but didn't really know any real information. It was easy to read and hard to put down at times. The author did an excellent job of depicting the character and the atmosphere to get a clear vision of the time period and what was going on.
Donna (12/11/07)

Mata Hari
I did not like this book because the format was difficult to understand because the author changes time periods from chapter to chapter. This was confusing and by the time I understood it was happening I did not want to finish the book. I would not recommend this book.
Nancy (12/03/07)

Mata Hari
This book was a lovely surprise. I knew nothing of Mata Hari and while this is a fictionalized account of the infamous spy, I learned much about the depth of her character. The alternating chapters reveal accounts of her past and her imprisonment in France. She didn't just decide to become a spy. The evolution from Margarethe with a troubled childhood and marriage to the bold Mata Hari evokes the complexities of how individuals become who they are. While I may have thought of Mata Hari with disdain before reading this book, I now see her with great empathy and even feel a connection with her. This is a great read and I think women especially will enjoy it.
Rosemary (11/26/07)

Signed, Mata Hari
At first I found the novel confusing until I started sorting out the characters. The author is very effective in switching from the past to the present and her writing style is delightful. By the end of the book you feel as if you have an insight into Mata Hari and wonder if different circumstances would have changed the fate of her life. The author also did an excellent job of tying in the beginning of the book with the ending (edited to remove plot spoiler).
Pamela (11/25/07)

Signed, Mata Hari
I am very impressed with the author. From the beginning, I loved the lyrical language and the character that she was able to flesh out. I knew nothing about Mata Hari, which drew me to the book. With the short chapters, it made it easier for me to pick up and put down at this busy time of year. But I found myself not wanting to put it down at all. As she tells her stories, you become totally hypnotized by this woman. If you want to learn a little, be entertained and find out what lyrical really means, pick up this book!
Wendy (11/17/07)

Signed Mata Hari
Signed Mata Hari is an interestingly written as well as an intriguing tale about one of histories most mysterious and scandalous woman. The author has written short vignettes about her life, alternating between first, second and third person points of view depending on the time and situation being described. We meet her as a young girl crossing Ameland in the North Sea during low tide. She prides herself on being able to escape death before high tide comes in and this is a recurring image throughout the book- one that helps remind her that she is a survivor during some of the more difficult times of her life. Later we find her unhappily married and she seems at times to barely be a participant in her own life. Her one weakness is her children. Her drive to dance, to spy and to take lovers stems from her need to earn money to pay the lawyers who claim to be working to get her custody of her daughter Non.

The writing style, as well as the famous subject matter, certainly casts the Mata Hari of history in a different light. While most readers know of her impending doom, many will not see her as a spy but as a victim of men, especially her husband, and as a loving mother who wants only to see her daughter again. The novel is a nice blend of historical information as well as a more human look at the sexy dancer whose image was immortalized on Mata Hari cigarettes and biscuit tins.
Patricia (11/16/07)

Signed Mata Hari
I thouroughly enjoyed this book. The 'short' James Patterson type chapters made for easy reading. Getting a glimpse into the life of Mata Hari makes one realize she is so much more than just a spy! The descriptions of Java, and the countries she traveled, gave me a clear visual of the colors, sounds, and feels of those lands.

• Book Jacket: The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko
    The Bones of Grace
    by Tahmima Anam

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things
    by Bryn Greenwood

A memorable coming-of-age tale about loyalty, defiance, and the power of love.

Underground Airlines