Read what people think about The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold, and write your own review.

The Almost Moon

by Alice Sebold

The Almost Moon

• Published in USA  Oct 2007

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Almost Moon

Robin (04/07/14)

A Compelling Story -
An utterly addictive read - right through to the end. I finished the book in two sittings - almost fearful to immerse myself in Helen's life when I began to read the second time. Caretaking is a mine field - fraught with emotions - especially when responsibility is put upon a child. Alice Sebold's Helen crossed the line that many face - the build-up to the book's opening comes after - a fast paced tale of tragic lives with various parallels to our own. Excellent!
Power Reviewer Cloggie Downunder (05/23/11)

Powerful
The Almost Moon is the second novel by Alice Sebold. Helen Knightly narrates the story, which begins when she murders her mother, Clair. As we follow events over the next 24 hours, we learn about Helen’s life and what brought her to this momentous act: her love-hate relationship with her mentally-ill mother; her career as an artist’s model; her failed marriage; her dysfunctional relationship with her daughters. Helen has spent her whole life exposed to mental illness so it seems almost inevitable that she will question her own sanity. Sebold explores loyalty and devotion, and the fine line that exists between the impulse and the act. This is a powerful and passionate story, full of black humour. I enjoyed The Lovely Bones: this one is at least as good, if not better!

One Month Free Membership