What do readers think of The Book of Everlasting Things by Aanchal Malhotra? Write your own review.

The Book of Everlasting Things

by Aanchal Malhotra

The Book of Everlasting Things by Aanchal Malhotra X
The Book of Everlasting Things by Aanchal Malhotra

There is 1 reader review for The Book of Everlasting Things

Nidhi

Lovely book
I love reading books by authors who are of a different race, culture, religion, or ethnicity than me. I enjoy books that shed a little light on a different world view and allow me a peek into cultural experiences outside my norm. I also generally enjoy historical fiction because, although the story is imagined, the events in the historical setting are always enlightening. This story checked all those boxes and I did genuinely enjoy it.

A Hindu perfumer and a Muslim calligrapher fall in love in the early 1940s. As the country gains its independence from Britain, it also faces Partition, in which the religious divide rends the country in two. The Muslims were forced to flee to Pakistan while people who were Hindu and Sikh fled to India. The political and religious divides tear the couple apart. The story spans decades and generations, covering the history of the first World War all the way to modern times.

The language in this story is so incredibly rich and engages all the senses! You can almost smell the perfumes being distilled and feel the luxurious, bright fabrics that fill the rooms. The smell of spicy food cooking and the sounds of life in a busy marketplace are spellbinding. The author does a phenomenal job of drawing the reader into another world in another time. The characters are well-rounded and captivating. These are the elements that kept me reading to the end. This is a rich story in every respect and I am glad I saw it through to the end.

That being said, this book is L-O-N-G! The story takes so many tragic turns, covers so much history, and introduces so much information to wade through that it does get a little cumbersome.

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: After Sappho
    After Sappho
    by Selby Wynn Schwartz

"Someone will remember us, I say, even in another time."
    —Sappho, fragment ...

• Book Jacket: City Under One Roof
    City Under One Roof
    by Iris Yamashita
    When a disembodied arm and leg wash ashore in Point Mettier, Alaska, most residents assume they ...
  • Book Jacket: We Deserve Monuments
    We Deserve Monuments
    by Jas Hammonds
    Jas Hammonds' debut young adult novel We Deserve Monuments provides a fresh look at the coming-of-...
    Factory Girls
    by Leslie T. Chang
    Considering the articles in recent years regarding toy recalls or melamine-tainted milk ...

The Mitford Affair
by Marie Benedict
An explosive novel of history's most notorious sisters, one of whom will have to choose: her country or her family?

Members Recommend

Margot
    by Wendell Steavenson

A young woman struggles to break free of her upper-class upbringing amid the whirlwind years of the sexual revolution.

Ghost Season
    by Fatin Abbas

A beautifully orchestrated debut connecting five people caught in the crosshairs of conflict on the Sudanese border.

Wade in the Water
    by Nyani Nkrumah

A gripping debut novel of female power and vulnerability, race, and class set in a small Mississippi town in the early 1980s.

C To T Q

Be sincere, be brief, be seated