Announcing our Top 20 Books of 2022 and Award Winners

What do readers think of Gilded Mountain by Kate Manning? Write your own review.

Gilded Mountain

by Kate Manning

Gilded Mountain by Kate Manning X
Gilded Mountain by Kate Manning

There is 1 reader review for Gilded Mountain

BuffaloGirlKs

Immigrants and the Gilded Age
Set in the fictional high altitude Colorado towns of Moonstone and Ruby in the also fictional Gilded Mountains Range, this novel tells the story of yearning for a better life and the will to achieve that goal. Women's suffrage, the effects of slavery, and the labor movement also figure strongly in the story. Sylvie Pelletier is on the brink of adulthood when she, brothers, and mother join their father and husband in Moonstone. Living in the company housing of the marble mining business that her father works for and going to the local school, Sylvie first works for the female editor of the local newspaper in order to contribute to her family's finances. When the opportunity arises to work as secretary to the wife of the mine owner at their home in Ruby, she seizes the live-in position. There she comes to know and establish relationships with the owner's wife, formerly a French courtesan, the owner's disaffected college age son, and the Black cook and butler, who were formerly slaves of the southern born owner.

Part of the reason I chose this book was its stunning cover of a full moon rising over the mountains. Having seen these mountains several times, I knew them to be near Aspen, Colorado. My other reason is a love for historical fiction of the American West. The Author's Note makes clear that the setting is based on the history of real-life Colorado towns of Marble and Dearfield, which are also near Aspen. My family has visited Marble several times while driving the scenic byways of Colorado. The author's descriptions of the town, surrounding mountains, and the mining operation are perfect. With the term Gilded in the book title, it is obvious that the book deals with the haves and have-nots of the gilded age. That robber baron millionaires became billionaires on the backs of immigrant workers for whom they had no regard is a theme throughout the novel. I had previously read Cripple Creek Days by Mabel Barbee Lee and thought this book would be much like it. It definitely was not; Kate Manning provides an excellent social commentary on the struggle for safe working conditions, fair pay, and decent hours in the early 20th century.

Sylvie, the main character, was strong and competent. I loved her "silent comments" on what she thought of or wanted to do to many of characters she had to deal with. Yet Sylvie's relationship with the son of the owner left me cold. I found him to be weak, spoiled, without loyalty, unable to see anything, etc. and simply could not understand how the author thought it was a good move to pair him with Sylvie. The story progressed nicely, but there were times that I hoped for better, more descriptive writing. Overall, I do recommend this book for anyone who enjoys historical fiction of the American West or who wants to learn something of Colorado's mining and labor history.

Join and Save 20%!

Become a member and
discover exceptional books.

• Book Jacket: Horse
    Horse
    by Geraldine Brooks
    Voted 2022 Best Fiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers. Geraldine Brooks creates a ...
  • Book Jacket: In Love
    In Love
    by Amy Bloom
    Voted 2022 Best Nonfiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers. In 2019, author Amy Bloom and her...
  • Book Jacket: Remarkably Bright Creatures
    Remarkably Bright Creatures
    by Shelby Van Pelt
    Voted 2022 Best Debut Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers. Shelby Van Pelt's debut novel, ...

Members Recommend

Scatterlings
    by Resoketswe Martha Manenzhe

The debut novel of a gifted storyteller who has become a sensation in her native South Africa.

The Big Holiday Wordplay

The Bell in the Lake
by Lars Mytting

At times, our own light goes out, and is rekindled by a spark from another person.