Reader reviews and comments on Atonement, plus links to write your own review.

Atonement

by Ian McEwan

Atonement

Mar 2002, 448 pages
    Feb 2003, 448 pages

There are currently 17 reader reviews for Atonement

J Arnold (09/19/07)

A well-crafted story of atonement and abandonment
This well-written book went beyond my expectations. I have tried to read McEwan’s books, but I found myself putting the books down before truly experiencing the magic of his writing. It was his novel Saturday that finally kept my interest and propelled me to explore his other works in earnest. I pick up Atonement to read it before seeing the movie; I am so glad I stayed with this novel. The shifting point of views against the landscapes of pre-WWII England in the first section of the novel read like the doomed love affair of the play “The Trails of Arabella” written by a young Briony. Although the obvious theme is the path of atonement one must travel, it is evident that the theme of abandonment links with the theme of atonement in both the fictitious play and the story that unfolds over the next 60 years. McEwan truly shows his craft has he moves into the early days of WWII in the second and third sections of the book; he also plays with our emotions as he limits the narration to just one character in each section. Although he gives the reader the appearance of a fairy-tale ending like in Briony’s play, the twist in the last section appears to be more than satisfying and realistic. I cannot wait to explore more of his novels and can only hope that they are as well crafted as Atonement and Saturday.
SNM (12/03/04)

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!I was just sad when this book ended, I felt that there was so much more stroy left to be told. I loved reading the story from the kids piont of view because most kids never understand what is going on in the world of grown up and so there mind fills in what they don't understand. I was shocked that a grown man could write the ideas and feelings of a 13 year-old girl. This book and its writer are great.
JD (03/25/03)

Stay with this novel, beyond the first 50 pages, you will not be disappointed. A memorable book that will stand the test of time.
Balzac Fan (02/26/03)

This was an impressive book. It's written so well that it reads like non-fiction. And the end is a pull the rug from out under your feet...leaving you feeling a little tricked. But it is well worth your time and you will like this one. As good as Faulks' Birdsong.
Al Topping (01/15/03)

Atonement is a worthy read…. But do take care, I suspect Ian McEwan has crafted a wonderful shaggy dog story….
Jeff Cohen (12/21/02)

I found the book lacked some of the intellectual hype surrounding it. The first section mimiced the best of stately British novels but the war sequence was hyperbolic and failed to draw me in sufficently. The third second intrigued me but the ending seemed an immature form of questioning all forms of atonement
ikigai (11/28/02)

What an incredible and well written tale! It's amazing to me that a middle aged man can portray the inner workings of an adolescent female with such exactitude. Odviously, I was smitten from the very first chapter. But there is so much more...such intricacy and nuance! There is no comparison, in my mind, between this and Amsterdam. The latter novel pales in comparison.
Laura (11/17/02)

Second in Excellence to Enduring Love -- The audiobooks create the movies I hope to see.

McEwan's manipulation of situations ensconces the reader in a delicate plethora of high art grammar. Simply, it's great!

• Book Jacket: The Romanovs

Falling
    by Jane Green

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All