Reader reviews and comments on Salt, plus links to write your own review.

A World History

by Mark Kurlansky

Jan 2002, 352 pages
    Feb 2003, 496 pages

There are currently 16 reader reviews for Salt

Cissana (03/07/12)

Hidden world history
I am still reading the book, having received it as a gift. I enjoy it very much as I am involved in a fascinating study of world history from some unusual perspective (it should be a reasonable and valid view of history, of course) like perspective of salt, or perspective, let's say, of paper...Do you know of someone who would write a world history as a history of paper invention? I will write it, then )))

It seems, we are sick and tired of studying wars and war heroes as the only causes and purposes for world history. There must be deeper reasons for why things happened the way they happened, not just Greeks overcoming Persians, or Rome overcoming Carthage...God is the ultimate author of world history and through such innovative approaches He actually prompts us a new vision of what was happening, why and what will be the outcome. Isn't it the purpose why we study history? To know the future...Salt is an excellent example of why things happened the way they happened, but salt is not the only or the deepest reason...Although contributing to deeper reasons...)))
H.G. (09/20/11)

Salt...an Incredibly Boring Read
Salt is a very boring book and unless you are genuinely passionate about salt, its not advised to read it.
Oakton High School (08/15/11)

Salt
This book is horrid. It does not even talk about salt half the time. He is trying to relate things back to salt, but he is doing it terrible. Never read this book ever unless forced to (Oakton High School).
Kelsey (05/15/11)

Maybe a Bit Too Salty.
We had to read this book for AP history and it was really interesting and helped with even textbook content because of the mention of well known figures suck as Ghandi and Plato and Mao Zedong, and many more as well as discussed many major historical event in relation to salt. It also gave another view on how salt shaped societies, economies, myths, and superstitions. Although some of the information got kind of monotonous, the facts were interesting throughout. Consequently I don't think I'd recommend the book to anyone that either didn't have to read it or just loves building their knowledge of the overlooked things in life. :)
A. Byss (08/20/10)

Brutal Honesty
Even as a strong fictional reader and writer as I am, I must admit the information in this book was very interesting. The information itself was astounding, but the length and way it was expressed was very poor. This book had no real hook and nothing to keep the reader compelled to reading it. The transitions were good- it was somewhat confusing to stop because the only ending point in a subject was between chapters, but the book itself was dully written and in no way a treat to read. This book was one that is read maybe 20 minutes a day (if even) to spare your boredom and brain cells.
Chelsea (08/15/10)

Not Worth Your Time
This book could not keep my attention for more than 10 minutes at a time. I wasted valuable time in life trying to read this book. If you are not an extreme salt enthusiast, then please do not read this book. You've been warned.
Caitlyn (07/28/10)

if u like this book u are a very boring person.
Very dull. there are a few interesting facts listed in this book but they get over looked because the rest of it is so boring.
L. Steiner-Dotson (01/07/10)

a salty thought
Kurlansky's SALT, has kept my attention, and as a foodie I have a new admiration for the stuff and what someone had to go thru to mine this substance--history and today. I've just started being interested in colors of salt and now am spurred on to find the unusual...more than just grey salt. Thank you Kurlansky for giving us something to learn and not just car chases. A good read and an excellent economics lesson.

One Month Free Membership