Reader reviews and comments on Salt, plus links to write your own review.

A World History

by Mark Kurlansky

Jan 2002, 352 pages
    Feb 2003, 496 pages

There are currently 16 reader reviews for Salt

Kelsey (09/23/09)

This book is boring, I had to read it for AP History an its the most tiring book to read. I fall asleep when reading. I don't recomend this book to anyone under the age of 50, or if you DON'T have to read it then don't an that's my honest opinion. Thank you.
alexis (09/06/07)

I totally wasted $16 buying this book. I don't understand how a human being can enjoy such a dull novel. I enjoy history very much, but I'm sad to say it made my perspective of history less enjoyable.
RedReader (08/13/07)

Not Great Forced Reading...
This is a very good book although it become a little pedantic and repetitious at times. Clearly the author enjoys writing about the marriage of food with history and, it's true, many of the anecdotes and facts are interesting. However, the average reader may feel that a little Salt goes a long way. It's like watching your cousin's wedding video...lovely as it may be, you get bored long before the tape finishes.

My advice: read a few chapters, take a few weeks off and pick it up again. It is infinitely more interesting to read the book in this manner and you don't feel like your head will explode if you have to hear the tale of yet another evaporative salt marsh pond.
Taylor (08/06/07)

if you want to read 449 pgs. of absolute useless and irrevolent history of salt this book is for you!
well, I'm a freshman and i was required to read and do multiple projects with this book; as a person who is pretty much addicted to salt and puts it on everything , I thought it would be interesting. HOWEVER..... I even had my PhD sister read this book and we both fell asleep out of boredom , it was a daily chore. I would sooner kill myself than reread this book, the only pro was there is a index in the back for me to only have to review as much as required...BEWARE!!! IT SUCKS!
Ralmon Jon Black (07/13/07)

Salt: A World History
Hard to believe so much history could be found in one four-letter word. Those I've shared this book with have rave reviews about it. It puts into a new perspective the struggles of the human race to rise from the stages of hunter-gatherers to industrialists. Kurlansky has given my passions for food and culinary arts a paradigm shift and wrought changes in my recipes. I have a wonderfully fresh slant on prosciutto and parmesan. There's a seller on our table filled with Ukrainian rocksalt and garum has become a household word. It may be ancient politics, but more enthralling for me than today's news.
mike (02/23/07)

like a grain of sand
You can learn a great deal about human history in this book. Unfortunately, being assigned reading often makes nonfiction books disliked. Read this book if you like a well written story about a substance needed for us to live, that has been taxed, fought over and now tossed on streets. You will never look at a saltshaker the same again.
sasha (08/09/06)

If you are enduring any sleep problems or can't fall sleep, I strongly recommend this book for you. A couple of sentences, and BAM, you're dreaming. I have been looking for a way to fall asleep quicker, and this book truely works.
unknown (08/01/06)

Don't do somthing you will regret!!!!
i had to read this book for class, i thought it would be somewhat interesting, but found it to be a very dull and boring book. i greatly dislike this book, and insist that noone read this book unless you like to read boring books that put you to sleep after every few sentences.....

• Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    by Brit Bennett
    by Tom Jackson

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.

Cruel Beautiful World
    by Caroline Leavitt

North of Crazy
    by Neltje

The remarkable life of a woman who carves her own singular path.