Reader reviews and comments on Year of Wonders, plus links to write your own review.

A Novel of The Plague

by Geraldine Brooks

Aug 2001, 352 pages
    Apr 2002, 320 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for Year of Wonders

Vanessa (08/03/10)

Everything
This book was more of a story from a girl who learns so much but I also liked it because I noticed something that no one else did. I saw that this wonderful girl had love but also had faith. Imagine yourself as her being forced into all the things she did or having freedom? Ask me that, show me how good this book is to you.
Power Reviewer Elizabeth (06/29/10)

Outstanding
Using this horrible era in history as the basis of the book, it takes you into the homes and into the lives of the people in the 1600's who had old myths about witchcraft, awful ways of curing illnesses, and describes their ignorance of medical procedures and cures and lack of them.

The characters are described in detail and are quite interesting. It definitely isn't a boring historical account of this epidemic...the weaving of the lives and the history makes you aware of what it was like to live during that period of time in Europe and encourages you to continue reading.

Despite all of the trauma, I really liked the book.
Power Reviewer Elizabeth (06/29/10)

Outstanding

Katherine (08/20/09)

Anything
This was a rather intriguing book but I found myself asking for more content. I also found some of the things in this book hard to believe and much of it common knowledge for anyone who would read a minor passage on the plague. I was looking for forward to the confusion of the human mind during times of hardship and most of it was only the same ideas as within every plague but not much in depth I guess. The ending was rather brilliantly crafted and I like how it leaves a rather satisfying ending.
Mav (03/12/09)

Year of Wonders
It's rare that I can read a book more than once. This one I have read twice and will savour the next time I read it. I can't put my finger on why it's magical but it truly is. There is something so utterly engaging about the way it is written. It is sad but equally full of hope. It's a must read.
rebecca wood (07/08/08)

absolutely amazing
I have just finished year of wonders and I would honestly recommend it to ANYONE! It is the most fascinating, interesting book I have ever read! I have been searching google about the plague and eyam..... and I would love someone to recommend me some books which are like this one!!

I cannot stress enough how much I loved it. Reading this book has also given me an insight about how they managed to live back in 1665 especially raising children, I too have 2 boys and I felt like I could relate to Anna's loss (how she felt). I was actually in tears......honestly!

That is my review and I LOVE THE BOOK!!
Jan (10/27/07)

Year of Wonders
I have to disagree that 'too much imagination' has been used in this novel! Shakespeare wrote in the late 1500s and early 1600s, based many of his plays on historic events, threw in a huge dose of vivid imagination, and we have been reading, watching and loving his works ever since. So clearly use of imagination is not a modern phenomenon - Anna Frith is resourceful and adaptable, a strong woman in extraordinary circumstances. Even if you know your history there is no reason why you can't enjoy this work of fiction which takes its inspiration from historical facts, and more to the point is beautifully written. As an Englishwoman I am astounded at (Australian) Brooks' affinity with English as it was spoken in the midlands in the 1600s, and her eye for detail. Fantastic.
Karen Williams (09/16/07)

Too Much Imagination
Much to the disappointment of anyone with even a slim knowledge of 17th century England, Geraldine Brooks inserts a modern liberal heroine into a pre-modern culture. I found myself laughing at the author's brazen and unruly use of imagination. This is a work of fantasy which seldom touches even the truth of fiction. The real story of the real plague village and its priest is more interesting and astounding. It is only fair to mention that Brooks is a fine wordsmith and some of her scenes are on the mark and beautifully written! If you don't know history, you will probably enjoy the book.

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: