Reader reviews and comments on The Corrections, plus links to write your own review.

The Corrections

by Jonathan Franzen

The Corrections

Sep 2001, 528 pages
    Aug 2002, 592 pages

There are currently 14 reader reviews for The Corrections

cindy hartley (06/27/02)

I loved this book - deep, perceptive, very in-tune with the American culture. The prose style is beautiful; the descriptions of Alfred's descent into madness are astonishing. Although this novel may be too literary for the general public, I can foresee The Corrections becoming a classic in college English classes.
tammyp (04/11/02)

This much-hyped book was a disappointment, so much that I could not finish it.

Written to impress instead of to involve, the plot is fragmented and the are charaters unbelievable at best. Wordy and depressing, it tries too hard to establish a dark tone - I resented the literary manipulation. Dialogue, especially from the mother, Enid, is unrealistic and contrived.

I don't believe that any of the book reviewers actually read the book - how could anyone come up with "the most exciting book this year"?

Don't waste your money on this one.
Cris (03/15/02)

This was our book club selection for March. First, it took FOREVER to get into the book. Most of the group gave up. One sentance alone would be a paragraph long. I felt that Jonathan was trying to prove that he knew a lot of words. Most of the groupd were mad that they spent money on a handback book that they wouldn'd finish or loan to anyone. How this received the National Book Award I don't know. It was a total waste of time and money.
Anonymous (12/30/01)

Just finished The Corrections and several other novels. Was curious about the reviews and was disappointed that two other reviewers found it boring. I thought it was a remarkable achievement and one of the best novels I've read in a long time. You could say that I "read" professionally.I read the best of what is published and encourage serious readers not to miss this one. Much better than recent efforts by Byatt, Drabble,and in the "pop" category, Tyler et al. So, while I respect the notion that certain narratives do not resonate with all readers, I felt compelled to balance the other reviews with my e-voice. The novel was brilliant. Alyal
Anonymous (11/26/01)

I will read up to 100 pages in a book before I give up. This book is about the most boring one I ever tryed to read. I have waited for weeks to get Corrections from the library. Thanks for the review that I just read here I know that at least one other person has the same openion. and restoring my sanity. How can it have been so long on the best seller list?
Anonymous (11/06/01)

This is one of the most boring books I've ever read. Although it's obviously good writing, the story itself stinks and the good writing can't quite save it. There is FAR too much detail and not enough character development to keep the reader's interest. I don't care what happens to these characters or how the book ends. I always hate to quit in the middle but I'm about ready to toss in the towel on this one!
This book has been way way overhyped.

• Book Jacket: Crossing the Horizon
    Crossing the Horizon
    by Laurie Notaro
  • Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.