Reader reviews and comments on Cane River, plus links to write your own review.

Cane River

by Lalita Tademy

Cane River

Apr 2001, 418 pages
    Apr 2002, 560 pages

There are currently 18 reader reviews for Cane River

C.Webb (07/02/04)

Excellent book! I was born and raised not far from Cane River. I enjoyed coming across familiar names. I think the author did a remarkable job. This book was easy to read and easy to follow all the family branches. The women in this family are inspirational. Makes me want to look up my family history.
Joe Sanders, Jr. (01/03/04)

The Cane River story mirrors much of what I was told as a child about life in Natchitoches as well as other parts of Louisiana. It's too bad that academia didn't touch on such issues in "Louisiana History". I applaud Ms Tademy for her insight and courage.
jackie (11/11/03)

The story held my attention until the last few chapters. The family relationship was endearing. The ending was not as good as expected.
Anna (07/02/03)

Cane River moved me beyond belief. I wanted to go on forever. I felt as if i were there, living it with them. Superb. Heartwhenching.
a Louisiana reader (06/27/02)

This was a good book,better than I expected but I think she,the writer should have ended it sooner,after Philomene,not have gone on and on with Emily,I'm not saying she didn't do a good job but it just seems she should have stopped sooner. I rather enjoyed reading about the grandmother's struggles of suriveal during slavery and after but ...well,I said my opion of the book. I'll just say one more thing then sign off,to me,in my voice,life was just as bad if not worse for the blacks after they got freedom. But all of this is foranother forum.
enchanted reader (06/16/02)

This novel was a portal to the African-American experience through the ups and downs of motherhood, slavery, and generations of triumph and tragedy. Anyone who seeks a glimpse into the past should travel along the pages of Cane River to visit the complex world of oppression and domination. However, once the story ends you gain a greater perspective of the racial lines which continue to divide our society. Lalita Tademy has truly found her "calling."
Cynthia (04/22/02)

I loved this book, my favorite would have to be Elizabeth she was the backbone of the whole family.
Tamika Howard (04/19/02)

This novel is filled with great imagery of black women on Cane River. The four generations: Elisabeth, Suzette, Philomene, and Emily wanted the best for their families. They went through some trials and tribulations for the family to stay together when their masters died. Suzette and Philomene did their best to keep the family together. I loved the false glimpsings Philomene told Narcisse Fredieu so her children could have a life that she didn't have. I did not like the way they were color struck. They wanted their children to stay out of the sun. It meant more opportunities for them. I believe they should have had children with men of their own color. Everyone mixes once and a while. Since I was born in Louisiana, I was very interested in reading this novel. I also enjoyed their woman talks on the porch. I think all women folks should read this book. Give it to your mother for that special day.

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: