Reader reviews and comments on Empire Falls, plus links to write your own review.

by Richard Russo

Empire Falls by Richard Russo X
Empire Falls by Richard Russo

May 2001, 512 pages
    Apr 2002, 512 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Empire Falls

Robert Stanley (04/24/14)

Derivative, repetitive, with fine writing skills.
Discovering something new or something deep is one of my thrills in reading. It seems some in the literary crowd do not share those criteria, but admire mimesis more than insight.
Kathy (08/06/11)

This was perhaps the worst book I have ever read. It is pointless and boring to an extent i did not believe possible. I need to write an essay about a theme in this book and I don't even remember anything worth mentioning! Terrible! I literally had to force myself to continue reading!
Dr. Joseph Johnson MD (01/22/11)

I fell to sleep after reading the first 3 pages
From the very beginning , the story is very BORING and unbelievable. After reading the first 3 pages with great difficulty we ALL simply fell to sleep from extreme boredom.
Immy (09/06/06)

Empire Falls
I'm fourteen years old don't live anywhere near America but still loved and understood Empire Falls. Russo effortlessly manages to convey his ideas through this book without forcing you to agree with them. Once you have read this book it is easy to see why it won the pulitzer prize and will definately go down on history as a classic novel.
Matt Young (06/15/05)

Empire Falls
Without fail- time & time again; you effortlessly seem to hit a homerun, ( this time a GRANDSLAM!!! ); with your gift of storytelling! This book is an entertaining look into everyday life in a small town, with some of the most amusing characters that i've ever had the pleasure to read. Phenomenal job on winning the PULITZER!, uncle Rick!!!
Samantha Morrin (05/19/04)

I'm seventeen years old and I choose to read Richard Russo's "Empire Falls" for a Pulitzer Prize winning book project. I'm fortunate to have picked such a greatly written book, the characters were very well developed, the storyline incredibly interesting, and the setting vividly set. I happen to live in a small town myself, and even though, yes, some characters were very 'cookie cutter', that's how a small town is. I encourage anyone who likes a great and moving storyline to pick up this riviting book.
Carmella (05/06/04)

I'm 15 and I live in central Maine. In fact, the movie that wil be coming out soon of Empitre Falls was filmed partially in my town! Russo captures rural, small-town, central Maine life almost exactly. I could relate to a lot of this book. My English class read this book, partly due to the movie that was filmed late last fall, and not everyone enjoyed it, but I thought it was okay. I loved how it had hilarious characters, ones that you had to love, and others that you had to hate. Even secondary characters were developed well. Russo has an excellent writing style. This is a good book to read on a long trip or if you're sick...well, no, not sick, if you just had surgery and can't move for a week or so....
Robin Stinson (09/29/03)

I am 56 years of age and read this book with one of my book clubs. This book combines an unusual sense of humor, human tragedy, wonderful descriptions of small town America, suspense and drama, and some of the best character development I've read.
It is definitely worth a reread for all the nuances and to laugh again at the human foibles that Russo so beautifully depicts.

• Book Jacket: Winter