Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

Founding Brothers

Feb 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 184 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

angelica (08/18/07)

founding brothers
I must say this is one of the worst books I have ever read and let me tell you I have read a lot of book in my day. In the first chapter I found myself saying "what in the world does this word mean". I got so lost in trying to figure out the meanings of the words that i could not enjoy the actual plot of the book. Now I do not doubt that Joseph Ellis is a good writer for old people (no offense) and for college nerds ( again no offense) but for a 16 year old just trying to pass her AP course it definitely was not for me. I thought it was one of the most boring books I ever set my eyes on. I mean I know American history is important and all but maybe they should take the facts and make them more interesting. one word of advice before you pick up this book and read it is to read the dictionary first!
Matthew (08/04/07)

it could be worse.
I have to read this, as well as American Sphinx for my IB history class.
it could be worse...much worse. If you thought the chapters on Jefferson were boring, try reading American Sphinx.

Nevertheless, I actually somewhat enjoyed the book. While it's not exactly what I'd want to read in my spare time, I can honestly say I know a lot more about American History now that I've read this.
caroline (06/26/07)

A Review of Founding Bothers
I have a Masters degree in Gifted Education. I took a history course this summer just to have a little more background knowledge of American history. One of the books that we were required to read and do a book review on was the Founding Brothers. I was frustrated beyond belief. While the book reveals a fascinating character analysis of the men who helped shape the foundation of our country, the complex sentence structure, redundancy, and almost purposeful hyperbolism that plagued this book made for excruciating reading. I can't believe this book was assigned to high school kids. Their reviews had me howling with laughter.
Wils (10/20/06)

Unbelivable!!!
This book is completely overrated! While reading this book for AP, I can't believe the good ratings it has achieved for such a BORING book. I can understnd that it is a good book, but for people in its league, don't make high school kids read it.!!!
serbs (09/01/06)

why read this book?
i am also reading this book for my AP history class this year and i am only on the second chapter and am unable to finish for the poor quality of this book. the words are far past my comprehension and i that the parts i do understand have no relevance to me answering and part of the 6 page essay i have been assigned to write this summer. If you get the chance to read this book on your own, please do not because you will find yourself aggrivated and even possibly find you have LOST some of your previous knowlegde simply from reading this terrible work of literature.
Katy (08/26/06)

Seriously? (Age 16)
Im in chapter 2 of this book, and I gotta ask, am I the only person who thinks that educational books, such as Founding Brothers, should at least be written with a little voice? No one to my knowledge actually talks like this, so why write like this? Use some adjectives Ellis! Add a little adventure. National Treasure was alright, why can't this be entertaining? I just believe that if you're writing a book that is destined to be required reading for students, give them something to make it bearable. The only thing helping me is an image I have in my head of Dumbledore talking to Harry Potter, because he is the only person (though fictional) that I can imagine speaking the words of Joseph J. Ellis. I'll let you know when I'm done.
Jeff (08/23/06)

An awful book
I am 15 and have to read this book for Honors US History. It is the most painful book I have ever read.

Ellis is extremely redundant throughout the entire book—and for a teenager who has relatively good concentration, I literally fell asleep reading the first chapter. That is the first time I had ever done that.

If this book is optional, by all means, DO NOT READ IT. If it is mandatory, well good luck to you. I certainly needed it.
Lizzzzard (08/22/06)

Class resumes tomorrow, I need answers to my Review Questions
Overall I did actually like the book. I don't think I fully satuarated all of the content of the book though, because I cannot come up with receptive answers to my review questions. If you are taking AP US History this book really is insightful, but I don't think it should have been required to read over the summer. All of the other information we had to read had to do with pre-colonial America to mercantlism and the navigation acts. And surprisingly, I cannot wait for class tomorrow, even though I have nothing to look forward to besides a year of... HISTORY. =]

• Book Jacket: Harmony
    A Gentleman in Moscow
    by Amor Towles

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review