Reader reviews and comments on The Chinese, plus links to write your own review.

The Chinese

by Jasper Becker

The Chinese

Dec 2000, 304 pages
    Feb 2002, 493 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Chinese

Peter C. (12/16/04)

He really understand to China and allows us to find out very interesting facts, but on the other side, it's very hard to read this book. After all it's one of the best books I have already read about China.
Annali Galey (06/03/03)

I have lived in China four and a half years and Jasper Becker's "The Chinese," gave me more insight into the reasons why things are the way they are here than any other source. The depth and immediacy of the work makes it easy to keep going even when the facts are sometimes brutal. He illuminates Chinese history and connects it to the problems of the present with grace and assurance. I kept saying, "Aha!" as I read and discovered the answers and causes I had searched for myself. Becker's writing has a fine way of "taking" the reader somewhere - as if curiousity and the need to know have created a path. His sources are terrific and the notes and bibliography alone make a fine reference.

Annali Galey

by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

Polite conversation is rarely either.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: