Reader reviews and comments on The Red Tent, plus links to write your own review.

The Red Tent

by Anita Diamant

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant X
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Sep 1997, 321 pages
    Sep 1998, 321 pages

There are currently 51 reader reviews for The Red Tent

someone (04/06/03)

this book sucks! it drags on and on and you cant get into it. dont read it, dont waste your time.
Julie (03/09/03)

The Red Tent is an amazing book because it provides information about patriarchial societies while keeping the attention of the reader, especially those whom are not fond of historical books. It displays a unique outlook on the ideas of males and females within the time and setting of the book. This book moved me through the emotional and physical struggles throughout the book. The relationships which were illustrated between the women throughout the book are comparable to my own relationships with women. I was able to relate to many of the feelings which Dinah felt throughout the course of the book. This book is fabulous, everyone should read it!
emma filtness (01/24/03)

I found this book extremely fascinating and emotionally moving. I love the way it speaks of womanhood, of the secrets and mysteries of the female race,of the ups and downs and the struggles of being female. It was extremely interesting to learn of the ancient traditions and beliefs of the time and culture in which the book is set.This book is fascinating, devastating, moving, entertaining and unmissable!
Monica L. McHam (01/03/03)

Astounding. Even stripped of the religious and sociological baggage - this is a great book! One of the best I have read in years! Without "taking anything away" from the Old Testament account of Jacob's tribe, the story adds the rich, satisfying experience of the women of the time. In this story lives the strong, nurturing vibrant community of women, which many of us count as sorely missing in modern society. Although a novel (and clearly identified as such) the tale is founded in the same historical events as those accepted as true by many people. Truly a wonderful book.
Erika (11/02/02)

It was a really good book that reaches out to family traditions.
Rachel (10/27/02)

I liked this book a lot, but the plot was a little shaky
Jenessa Grant (10/24/02)

An important book. More than a mere fictional interpretation of the Bible, it shows how vital female relationships are, especially mother/daughter relationships. A good coming-of-age story as well. Reccomended as a Mother's Day gift!
Habib R Achmed (09/24/02)

This was horrible.

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Win If You See Me, Don't Say Hi

If You See Me, Don't Say Hi by Neel Patel

Patel's stories introduce a bold and timely new literary voice.

A P Saved I A P E