MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Red Tent, plus links to write your own review.

The Red Tent

by Anita Diamant

The Red Tent

Sep 1997, 321 pages
    Sep 1998, 321 pages

There are currently 51 reader reviews for The Red Tent

someone (04/06/03)

this book sucks! it drags on and on and you cant get into it. dont read it, dont waste your time.
Julie (03/09/03)

The Red Tent is an amazing book because it provides information about patriarchial societies while keeping the attention of the reader, especially those whom are not fond of historical books. It displays a unique outlook on the ideas of males and females within the time and setting of the book. This book moved me through the emotional and physical struggles throughout the book. The relationships which were illustrated between the women throughout the book are comparable to my own relationships with women. I was able to relate to many of the feelings which Dinah felt throughout the course of the book. This book is fabulous, everyone should read it!
emma filtness (01/24/03)

I found this book extremely fascinating and emotionally moving. I love the way it speaks of womanhood, of the secrets and mysteries of the female race,of the ups and downs and the struggles of being female. It was extremely interesting to learn of the ancient traditions and beliefs of the time and culture in which the book is set.This book is fascinating, devastating, moving, entertaining and unmissable!
Monica L. McHam (01/03/03)

Astounding. Even stripped of the religious and sociological baggage - this is a great book! One of the best I have read in years! Without "taking anything away" from the Old Testament account of Jacob's tribe, the story adds the rich, satisfying experience of the women of the time. In this story lives the strong, nurturing vibrant community of women, which many of us count as sorely missing in modern society. Although a novel (and clearly identified as such) the tale is founded in the same historical events as those accepted as true by many people. Truly a wonderful book.
Erika (11/02/02)

It was a really good book that reaches out to family traditions.
Rachel (10/27/02)

I liked this book a lot, but the plot was a little shaky
Jenessa Grant (10/24/02)

An important book. More than a mere fictional interpretation of the Bible, it shows how vital female relationships are, especially mother/daughter relationships. A good coming-of-age story as well. Reccomended as a Mother's Day gift!
Habib R Achmed (09/24/02)

This was horrible.

• Book Jacket: Girl in the Blue Coat
    Girl in the Blue Coat
    by Monica Hesse
    Set in Amsterdam in January 1943, Monica Hesse's young adult novel, Girl in the Blue Coat, ...
  • Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

I I A Sign O T T