Reader reviews and comments on Joe DiMaggio, plus links to write your own review.

Joe DiMaggio

Sep 2001, 560 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Joe DiMaggio

Slevovv (11/24/07)

Say it ain't so Joe
Being a native of the Bronx and growing up within walking distance of The House That Ruth Built I have always been a Yankee fan. Having been born in 1950 and being conscious of the Yankees at around age 4 "The Mick" was my idol. Having exhausted every piece of literature about Mantle I am always looking for other books on the subject of the Yankees.

Joe Dimaggio: The Hero's life by Ben Cramer satisfied my post season baseball jones beyond my expectations.I like so many of my generation grew up hearing much about the players before Mantle, Arod, Jeter etc. There reputations and statistics are easy to research and confirm what made them great. With this book you not only get a feel for the magnificence of DiMaggio's skills on the ball field but also for the person. He really was just a guy trying to live his life under extreme circumstances, as an excellent ball player and as a national treasure. Neither one of these was handled by him easily. There was really no precedent so there was no blue print as to how he should act.

I liked this book very much *****
Deborah Elka (12/18/05)

Cramer strikes out with poorly researched biography
Richard ben Cramer spent five years chasing Joe Dimaggio-two of those years spent in phone calls and correspondence trying to convince Joe why he should agree to having Cramer cover his life. part of Cramers "pitch" was that Cramer had authored the much praised Ted Williams biography of 1992. The selling point didn't stick with Joe who in the end refused to cooperate with Cramer. Cramer needen't have personalized the spurn, Joe refused over a good fourty year period to write his biography, let alone help eager authors. In fact, he turned down a two million dollar contract.

Cramer has written a book which at it's heart has very little to do with Joe himself and everything to do with how Cramer thinks Joe saw the world around him. Without use of sources, endnotes or reference material Cramer writes about a twisted, small, petty ignorant lout who lumbers through his life bitter, unthinking, empty and cold- a cross between the Grinch ( before the grinch's heart grew) and Mr.Potter from 'It's A Wonderful Life'. DImaggio is bereft of any redeemabkle qualities - his heart and soul having never developed within him. Cramer has DiMaggio hooked up with the mafiosa , on the take in his business and advertising ventures. Cramer claims that during the great san fransico earth quake of 1989 Joe showed up at his house after the quake looking for a bag of money he kept hidden in his house. What Cramer fails to do is give factua proof of such a thing-and furthermore careful research would show Joe was actually at a shelter on the day Cramer claims Joe was rooting about his house for the pile of nob money. Take a look at The New York daily News archives and there you wil find a cover story about Joe standing in line at a shelter looking for someone.

Cramer also has the irritating trait of writing about events not as an outside observer reporting the facts, but as someone involved int he event itself- he speaks as Joe's first wife, Dorothy, as ex wife marilyn and Joe himself sot he reader, who does not know much about Dimaggio, is lead to believe the quotes to be from the person or persons, rather than craetive license of Cramers part.
A dissapointing mess of a biography. Cramer comes across as someone hell bent on getting even with the man who spurned his biographical advances. He plays loose and fast with the facts and blows an opurtunity to present Dimaggio as a thre dimensional human being, with enormous faults as well as instantly charasmatic quirks.
Jugs McGraw (11/15/04)

Joe DiMaggio: The Heroe's Life is the absolute authority on Joe DiMaggio. If you liked this book, you will also like: Cobb, by Al Stump and Walter Johnson: Baseball's Big Train, by Henry W. Thomas.
Bigzz Johnson (03/05/03)

that excerpt sucked. I mean it was absolutely horrible. how could someone that smart write a stupid book like that. it makes me sick to my stomach

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

All my major works have been written in prison...

The Big Holiday Wordplay: