Reader reviews and comments on Drowning Ruth, plus links to write your own review.

by Christina Schwarz

Aug 2000, 400 pages
    Jul 2001, 368 pages

There are currently 18 reader reviews for Drowning Ruth

Andrea (08/31/10)

drowing ruth was amazingg
I couldn't put down this book. You just want to keep reading it because you want to know what happened to Amandas sister on the night. Overall it was a very good book and I enjoyed reading it :)
Phyllis (02/26/07)

Drowning Ruth
This book kept my interest until the very end - I wanted to know exactly what happened at the lake that night. With each chapter the layers were peeled back and you'd get a little more information each time - and that was about all the plots and subplots in the book. The characters were intriguing - and very human. I was a little disappointed with the end because I like more detail and "happy" endings, but the book was well-written and very interesting. I look forward to reading more books by Ms. Schwarz.
danielle (10/11/04)

this was a ok book. i liked this boopk alot except for the going back in the past and skipping 10 years or so.......................
Student 01 (08/30/04)

I found the plot hard to understand because throughout, the reader is given different levels of story of how the main event happened. But these layers of perspective are slightly different, and it was difficult to decipher which was ultimately true and the remaining layers proven false. This is hard to describe without specifics, but made the book unclear to me. Some may call it genius and mind-wracking, but I would say it poorly distiguishes between the lying and ultimately truthful statements strewn almost randomly throughout the novel.
C.Webb (06/23/04)

I thought this book was very well written. The story was easy to follow and I like the authors style of writting. The 'flash backs' were exceptional. I was a little disappointed in the end. I wish their would have been a better clousure for all the characters. Carl was practicley abandoned, Ruth and Amanda were still in the same relationship. Amanda never 'faced the consciences' . Ruth never 'surfaced.
Kate (11/23/03)

I thought that Drowning Ruth was a well told story, but the book never really captured my attention. I thought the book was very predictable, and rather plethoric in places. All in all, a mediocre book at best!
Rhea Mitts (09/13/03)

I really like this book. Lately my mother has been pawning these "opera book club" books on me to read. I am glad that she has. This book was read by me in less then 4 days. I generally do not even like to read novels. This is no longer true. This book was great becasue I couldn't put it down. The plot was good and I liked how the author skipped times and places in the book without making it hard to enterpret what exactly was going on. It made perfect sence. Thanks to the author for writing this book, as well as keeping my attention for 4 days! Thanks again
Rhea Mitts
Sarah (06/22/03)

I was haunted by this book. Most likely because I myself am a possessive, loving aunt to two young girls and can relate to some extent to Amanda's desperate love for her sister's child. I enjoyed the sharp, crisp language and how it gave the book so much intensity. I have read it over and over.

• Book Jacket: Commonwealth

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review