Reader reviews and comments on The War Against Boys, plus links to write your own review.

The War Against Boys

How Misguided Feminism Is Harming Our Young Men

by Christina Hoff Sommers

The War Against Boys

Jun 2000, 256 pages
    Jun 2001, 256 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The War Against Boys

Mr. Ali Saberi (07/21/04)

Hi ,

This is Ali , an English teacher in Iran .
I guess Dr . Sommer's book is defending boys from being labled as the " second sex ".
Frank (04/07/04)

If you have a son or sons, this book will coalesce your feelings and provide moral support. For every meeting where your son's teacher explains patiently that he is not meeting his potential, you can ask the appropriate questions about the material being taught and the method of teaching. I have a son that was repeatedly called "all boy" by his teachers as if that was a bad thing. Ms. Sommers' book was the catalyst for my asking, "What's wrong with that?"

My son is an A student since beginning school and is in every advanced class offered, as well as studying two languages after school, playing the viola, and active in sports, yet some teachers still feel the need to make him act differently.

He laughs and jokes and wants to enjoy his education, but the politically correct want more. Several of his younger teachers are looking for a desire to help others learn and a supportive attitude for those who are not as bright. His special interest is history and when he asked why religiosity was not mentioned in his textbooks in the Age of Colonization segment he was criticized in class and was reprimanded for bringing in extraneous topics. When he failed to evidence a "collective and understanding attitude about his role in the classroom" I sat through a parent teacher conference.

Ms. Sommers' work gave me the support I needed to ask if he is the problem, and whether the expectations of behavior are appropriate for a young student. It's unconscionable that collectivism is expected of him, or that he be graded on it.

GREAT BOOK - REQUIRED READING FOR PARENTS OF BOYS
Rebecca (02/18/03)

This book shows how what's really going on with our young people, especially boys. It has firm facts to dissprove any and all critics, and shows some of the awful things that are being done to our young men, along with solutions that are proven to work. But it is not sexist, in that it does not say that girls are the problem and have none of their own.
Lyndsay (11/14/02)

It took everything in my power to read this book. Sommers opinions are all partial and not interesting.

• Book Jacket: Boy Erased
    Boy Erased
    by Garrard Conley
  • Book Jacket: The Bones of Grace
    The Bones of Grace
    by Tahmima Anam
    Find Me Unafraid
    by Kennedy Odede, Jessica Posner
    With staggering emotional weight and keen awareness of love and humanity even in the darkest places,...

Underground Airlines
    by Ben Winters

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

An enthralling novel about love, loss, secrets and friendship.

This Must Be the Place