Reader reviews and comments on Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire, plus links to write your own review.

Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire

Book 4

by J.K. (Joanne) Rowling

Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire by J.K. (Joanne) Rowling X
Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire by J.K. (Joanne) Rowling

Jul 2000, 734 pages
    Jul 2002, 734 pages

There are currently 220 reader reviews for Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire

harry potter fan (01/11/03)

really good book-i couldn't put it down. its da best of da series. can be a little scary!
The Amazing Markbert (01/08/03)

Hmm... When I wrote my review of Goblet of Fire, I expected the first response to be somewhat more venomous considering Harry's enormous (deservedly so, I think) following. All miscalculations aside, I'd like to thank Davina of BookBrowse.com for pointing out a few inconsistencies that I, myself have noticed. I too wholeheartedly wish that J. K. Rowling "gets her act together" in the next few books but in all honesty, in the case of such oddities as the "Time Travel Problem", the chances of this appear to be quite small. Rowling's world is fun, whimsical and built to take the reader on a flight of pure fancy but I doubt she has taken the time to carefully construct it and now it's probably too late to back-engineer things to make them logically cohesive. All I really hope for is that, if not the world, then the stories themselves regain solidity.

By the way, Davina, in my opinion, the most glaring inconsistency is the question of the wand to cast spells: Do you or don't you need a wand? In book one, Harry does magic in his "pre-wizard" stage without one and Hagrid points this out as proof of Harry's talent but in the rest of the books it is impossible for anyone to do so much as float a feather without a wand. I mean, if it were possible, wouldn't one of the four have done something to disarm Snape at the ending of book three?
The Amazing Markbert (01/08/03)

I've read all four of the Harry Potter books and overall, they're very, very good. Harry's world is whimsically charming and Rowling's style is as engaging as any author out there, blah, blah, yada, yada... However, doesn't it bother anyone that Goblet of Fire's plot makes absolutely no sense? Since I'm not supposed to give away "crucial plot elements" in this review I can't even begin to explain what was wrong with this book but for those of you who have already read it, I hope you can decipher this: Harry is set up by Someone and has to pass all these various challenges to get him to come into contact with a certain thing that takes him to you know who. Well then, if that's the case, couldn't this Someone come up with an easier way for Harry to come into contact with the certain thing? Why all the hoopla? What purpose did it serve to go through that? Wasn't the entire ordeal completely unnecessary?

The conclusion to the mystery was, in a word, absurd. I hope this doesn't offend anyone but the story was hokey; completely contrived, beyond believability and leaning heavily on one of the cheapest plot devices I've seen in quite a while. Goblet of Fire is simply not worthy of an author as skilled as Rowling.
Mimi (01/04/03)

it's fantastic! J. K. Rowling did it again. It's a book worthy of reading though it's too long. It have gotten my reading enthusiasm ever since I've read the 1st book. I have already read it more than 5 times now and, still, I'm yearning to read it again and again!
Anonymous (12/31/02)

this book was the best out of all of them.Joanne Rowling is definately one of the best authors!I have read all the books like 4 times each!
Lily (12/26/02)

It was very interesting,and scary! I thought the third book was kind of boring,but thee fourth was really great!
Robin (12/22/02)

I have read all the 3 books except the 4th and I think the story of Harry is getting more exciting by the minute!
John (12/20/02)

Harry Potter is a fantastic series. I've read all four books multiple times and I've seen both movies, the second one twice. I've been tearing my hair out waiting for the fifth, and I'm hoping I don't have to wait too much longer. I actually look a lot like Harry, and my mum never lets me hear the end of it. Anyway, to the point. My favourite aspect of this book is that it's approximately twice as long as the first three. I honestly couldn't put this one down, and the first time I read it it took me 9 hours to finish. It's also given me some clues as to what book 5 will contain, especially one reference made by Dumbledore about someone which I won't mention here in case I spoil it. To summarise, I highly suggest you get this now if you don't already have it.

• Book Jacket: The Word Is Murder

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Win If You See Me, Don't Say Hi

If You See Me, Don't Say Hi by Neel Patel

Patel's stories introduce a bold and timely new literary voice.

A P Saved I A P E