Reader reviews and comments on Me Talk Pretty One Day, plus links to write your own review.

Me Talk Pretty One Day

by David Sedaris

Me Talk Pretty One Day

May 2000, 224 pages
    Jun 2001, 224 pages

There are currently 15 reader reviews for Me Talk Pretty One Day

Haley Jane (05/05/14)

Oh yeah five star
I think the book lets out so much detail and I really think this is a book that let's out so much feeling and I bet it took all of the author's sweat and tears to write this amazing book.
Power Reviewer Cloggie Downunder (08/21/11)

you may need continence pads with this
Me Talk Pretty One Day is the 6th book of collected essays by David Sedaris. In part one, Sedaris touches on speech therapy for his lisp at school, guitar lessons from a midget, inherited traits, artistic talent, sibling swearing, family pets, working as a teacher, toilet legacies, odd jobs, eating out in NYC, visitors to NYC, outward appearances, and technophobia. Part two focuses mainly on his life with his partner Hugh in France and explores traveling to France, taking French language lessons, feast days, the sex of words, Hugh’s childhood in Africa, word puzzles, movie subtitles, the behavior of vacationing Americans, epic daydreams, food economy and IQ tests. My favorite chapter was Jesus Shaves. I tried to read this to friends but dissolved into laughter every time. Sedaris has the reader constantly smiling, chuckling, giggling and often laughing out loud. Sedaris is witty and clever and reading his work is an unalloyed pleasure.
Debbs (11/13/09)

me talk pretty one day
When I started reading the book I enjoyed it because it was funny. However, I did not find it a significant book because some of the the content did not make much sense to me. But like others I had to read it for class. This I did diligently until I realized that the issues were deeper than what was presented in the book. I think that Sedaris is a brilliant writer and that each of his topics presented relevant issues that people in society face and can identify with. I especially liked the chapter when is sister Amy came home for Christmas in the fat suit and how it irritated their father. What I got from this was that people judge you because of how you look and think that because you are fat no-one will want to marry you or that you will end up being alone. I think that that was one of the stereotypes that Sedaris looked at. He also looked at some crucial issues in the education system, and the fact that some people will go to the extremes to do something even if they do not have the talent for it. I would recommend this book to anyone and that it should not be read very lightly but try to see beyond the laughter.
Maggie (07/22/06)

The Great English Book I Have Ever Read
This is one of novels I have to read in this summer for my class. I do not know whether I like it. Once I begin to work on it, I touch Sandiers' heart. He tells me the things he has ever expereinced and his feelings.
Laughing out for a while, I understand that he loves his country so much that he cannot see his fellows are doing wrong things and keeps quiet. This is one of reasons he movedto Paris and wrote this book. In addition, he thinks his fellows choose the hard way to live and unlike use their own brains. This is the main point of this book. Hoping you agree with me and would want to read this fantastic book.
Rachel (04/11/06)

Totally Stupid
I guess I anticipated a much different book--perhaps something that displayed a point? The things that other people thought of as "funny" or "hilarious" I found to be complete asinine craziness. It rambled, it provided useless details and absoultely guaranteed NO POINT. I read the entire book, erroneously optimistic that I would draw some sort of conclusion or explanation for the boring "essays" I was reading. This book was a complete waste of time and a horrible example of a #1 Bestseller.
Andrea (06/05/04)

I knew nothing about Sedaris when I first found his book in the bookstore (I live in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia, where book selections are pretty limited but sometimes, if I'm lucky, I might find some "gems" in one of the shelves). I just bought the book and the first essay I read was Big Boy which had me laughing out loud until my parents thought there was something wrong with me. Since that day, I was hooked on anything written by Sedaris. My copy of this book is a bit worn off now since I've been introducing people to Sedaris's writings. Yeah, I'm a huge fan. Looking forward to his new book. I sure hope I can find it on this part of the world.
Roxi (12/03/03)

I, too, had to read this book for a creative writing class. It was unbelievable. I laughed so hard, I peed my pants. He is a real down to earth guy talking about family incidents that don't make my family seem so anal or psychotic anymore! I totally relate!
Chelsea Rose (11/02/03)

I LOVED THIS BOOK! I had to read it for school and didn't think I would like it, but the things he talked about brought me in bc he spoke the truth. Everything he said was a day by day go in everyday life. I loved it. I'm only 16, I don't know why I liked it. It did make me laugh, and it was really easy to understand. I loved it.

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: