Reader reviews and comments on In A Sunburned Country, plus links to write your own review.

In A Sunburned Country

May 2001, 304 pages

There are currently 11 reader reviews for In A Sunburned Country

Ernie (09/20/09)

What a disgraceful book
This book is one of the worst I have ever read. Sure it's funny, but it has absolutely no point to it whatsoever. Bryson tells his sometimes painfully boring anecdotes in excruciating detail, rattles off a few pages of facts, then talks about how much he loves Australia, but then subtly hints at how it so left behind in the world and how he doesn't feel comfortable. I won't disagree that it isn't funny, but there is no point to a comedy book if it has no point or storyline whatsoever.
kyoozoo (08/07/07)

Cliched pap.I loved it.
Here is a caricature of a Bill Bryson sentence: "The town seemed far away, so of course I walked. Of course, it took a long time to get there. I seemed to be tired on arrival, but of course it was nothing a cold beer couldn't fix. The beer seemed stale, but of course I drank it." If I had a nickel for every time Bryson uses SEEM or OF COURSE superfluously...Bryson has his own style, no doubt, which a lot of people love, but if you think he's a good writer, PLEASE read Colin Thubron. Bill Bryson is a writer for the entertainment age, an easy read. However, he does his homework, and often imparts good, solid, interesting information, perhaps easier and more fun to take in and digest because it's simply written. Bryson loves and expects his comforts, and he won't travel beyond them. He never talks to any Aboriginals, for instance, but a tip of the hat for writing eloquently about them, and for offering a poignant perspective on their plight by talking to whitey about them. OK, I admit it, I loved it. I laughed out loud sometimes. I read it happily. But Bryson irritates the hell out of me nevertheless!
Joan Hicks (02/24/07)

In A Sunburned Country
I cannot remember when I have read a more enthralling book.! Be it novel, fiction or non-fiction.! Maybe because I am a transplanted Aussie, I enjoyed it so much. It took me "home".!
I laughed, I cried, and I remembered some of my younger days in this beautiful country. Mr Bryson gave me information, I never knew.

I never skipped one paragraph.! Thank you Bill Bryson.
Jeunviev (01/11/07)

Meh
This book was quite funny at the beginning, but nearing the end of the first and throughout the second chapter, I just found that It didn't have enough excitement. The book just went down hill. It had to many facts for me to enjoy the characters that were in the book. I couldn't finish the book, and usually I enjoy reading alot.
Zac from Queensland Australia (03/08/03)

This book is a hilarious travel companion and should be made essential if you plan to travel to A ustralia. Its full of facts that many Australians (including myself) didn't know and is presented in a witty and hilarious way. A marvellous read.
Gillian (01/16/03)

A brilliant book that makes you want to go see it all for yourself! Funny and full of intresting facts. Once you start you just can't stop.
Greg Duff (12/06/02)

A very accurate and extremely funny-snapshot of this country and its people.
roger (10/04/02)

More please

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: The Rules of Magic

by Alison McGhee

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F