Reader reviews and comments on In A Sunburned Country, plus links to write your own review.

In A Sunburned Country

UK Title: Down Under

by Bill Bryson

In A Sunburned Country

Jun 2000, 304 pages
    May 2001, 304 pages

There are currently 11 reader reviews for In A Sunburned Country

Steve (09/12/02)

I found this book to be thoroughly entertaining. It gives you a great picture of the people, its history, geography, culture and everything else about it. Another reviewer challenges Bryson's use of long words. I enjoy his use of broad vocabulary. Most words you can figure out, for the one or two I couldn't I don't mind using a dictionary and broadening my own vocabulary.
Rachel (03/07/02)

Ok, I had to read this book for an AP English class (high school), and at first i thought it would be boring. But Bryson not only takes you on a personal tour of Australia, you also learn about the continent's history and people. Bryson makes a good point, as Americans, we often forget Australia is even there. In all of the history classes I've ever taken, I've learned about Europe and the US, and maybe Asia, but I've never learned a single fact about the land down under. I would like to thank Bryson for introducing me to Australia and it's people.
Anonymous (08/09/01)

Jim Sayre
Perhaps my exposure to this as an audio book contributed to my frequent aversion to Bryson's style. The delivery came across too often as jaded, melodramatic, and illusory. To be 'cute' he pretends to be in eminent danger, yet is able to throw in $1.00 words to a degree where I actually had to 'fast forward'. He wastes much time on irrelevant meetings with people who provide little insight to the Australian people. Occasional facts and descriptions are appreciated, but seem less believable after his constant exaggerations. My suggestion: eliminate the polysyllabic adjectives; just SAY IT! Try also to show people the way an artist or photographer would, with contrast, insight, and compassion. Bryson's are amateur snapshots with pretentious captions.

• Book Jacket: Boy Erased
    Boy Erased
    by Garrard Conley
  • Book Jacket: The Bones of Grace
    The Bones of Grace
    by Tahmima Anam
    Find Me Unafraid
    by Kennedy Odede, Jessica Posner
    With staggering emotional weight and keen awareness of love and humanity even in the darkest places,...

The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko
    by Scott Stambach

"An auspicious, gut-wrenching, wonderful debut." - Kirkus, starred review

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things
    by Bryn Greenwood

A memorable coming-of-age tale about loyalty, defiance, and the power of love.

This Must Be the Place