Reader reviews and comments on Flags of Our Fathers, plus links to write your own review.

Flags of Our Fathers

Oct 2001, 384 pages

There are currently 32 reader reviews for Flags of Our Fathers

Irving Presser (12/04/17)

Flags of our Fathers
A Great book about one of the bloodiest battles of World War 2, and the flag raisers,, on Iwo Jima. The book and the film are both excellent, a must read for any history buff.
G. W. Nash (08/09/15)

The Real Sands of Iwo Jima
As an avid WWII history buff and movie viewer, I was very moved and inspired after reading this account of the Iwo Jima campaign. As I read more and more and got to know the real characters, I was reminded of the 1949 movie, "The Sands of Iwo Jima" , and saw the similarity between the movie characters and the actual men that fought there. Curious, I wandered if any of the surviving flag raisers were portrayed in the movie (it has been some time since I last saw it on the movie channels) and about how close it followed the action as depicted in the book. I did some quick minor research on the internet and I was surprised to see that the three surviving flag raisers were actually in the movie and, by the credits listed, portrayed themselves. I thought the book definitely rendered a more realistic image of the dilemma and conflict that combat must have on a man's internal self, but also felt that the movie, as best as a Hollywood drama can, fairly depicted the realities as well. I was most impressed by the biographical information on the flag raisers. I have not seen the movie by the same name but will now seek it out and see how closely it compares to the book. A very good read and most inspiring.
jacob chastain (12/09/10)

Flags Of Our Fathers
This is the best book I have ever read. I have read it three times now and it never gets old.
anonymous (11/24/10)

very good book
This is by far the best book I have ever read. I am speechless.
J-Kax (05/24/10)

Nonfiction Surprise!
I absolutely could not stand nonfiction novels. They killed me from the inside out.and now that I've read this book, I've changed that much at least. Very good book and a heart felt story line from the beginning.Purchase and Enjoy!!!
caleb davis (05/07/10)

flags of our fathers.
This is by far one of the best books I have read...if not the best. It will get you hooked by the details and such wording that only James can write.
Jack Payan (12/28/09)

Flags of Our Fathers
As the son of a WWI veteran (Purple Heart & Silver Star ) I thought the book was great. However, on page 333 of the paperback edition the author states " There was no doubt that the marines were in the bloodiest battle since Gettysburg." The USA suffered 6,800 killed and 26,000 casualties on Iwo. During the first four days of the Meause-Argonne battle in WW1 we suffered 45,000 casualties. There was a total of 26,277 killed there making it the bloodiest single battle in US history. At Gettysburg there were 3,155 Union troops KIA and 3,903 confederate troops killed for a total of 7,058 slightly more than those killed on Iwo.
KMcD (08/14/05)

Extraordinary Times
I received an e-mail from a friend about a scouting trip to Washington. James Bradley was standing in front of the flag raising memorial and told the scouts the story of the six men in the memorial. Just that short snippet compelled me to go out and buy the book that day. Every night I look forward to reading more about these ordinary men who displayed such extraordinary courage and valor while experiencing hell on earth in Iwo Jima. I will be sad when I am finished with the book and expect that I will have to read it several more times.

• Book Jacket: The Ensemble
    by Tessa Fontaine
  • Book Jacket: The Female Persuasion
    The Female Persuasion
    by Meg Wolitzer
    A college freshman struggling for identity. A 1960s feminist icon attempting to maintain her ...
  • Book Jacket: A Lucky Man
    A Lucky Man
    by Jamel Brinkley
    If his debut collection of short stories, A Lucky Man is any indicator, Jamel Brinkley is poised on ...

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

Anatomy of a Miracle