Reader reviews and comments on Dune: House Atreides, plus links to write your own review.

Dune: House Atreides

by Brian Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson

Dune: House Atreides by Brian Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson

Oct 1999, 604 pages
    Aug 2000, 720 pages

There are currently 9 reader reviews for Dune: House Atreides

Matthew White (08/11/10)

Was a fan.
I really liked this book a whole lot, until I dusted off my edition of the original "Dune" and started reading. I read reviews of the house books online decrying plot holes and what not, but I didn't really take them seriously because any sort of book as monumental as Dune will always have a rabid near insane fan base that demand perfection from any sort of new material in what they view as "their universe". After re-reading the original dune novel, I found the dissidents to be right. I spotted plot holes immediately. I don't want to spoil anything, but though the plot holes might be small, they are very numerous. I find this a little discouraging, I guess because of the connections of the two main authors of the universe of Dune are that of father and son, and I feel the son might have take the source material a little closer to heart. The new dune books (especially House Atreides) are a fun fast paced read, but they stray to much from the source material to really give believable answers to the questions posed in the original books.
Nathan Kuczmarski (01/09/09)

Dune: House Atreides
Dune: Kouse Atreides is truly a great read. Its perfect for anyone who loves to read sci-fi books. Also remember there are other Dune books in the series.
nick (08/04/05)

New Dune series.
Overall, the entire series is poorly done. It is nearly impossible to imagine that the motivations and personalities introduced in this prequel series lead to those actually depicted in the real Dune series of books.

There are huge mistakes and a large amount of what goes on is truly irreconcileable with the other Dune books.

Overall, worth it only for the shock factor of seeing a beautiful jewel smashed to pieces.

Nick
drama_queen (12/11/04)

I loved this book, I found answers that I had been pestering people about. Now things are begining to make sense (wink), I guess I just like lotsa clear explination. Anyway if anybody liked the origionals then they should deffinitly read this.
mapes (11/12/04)

Could have been a dud but has been very skilfully handled. The book is written in a clean style - I think the writing is better than Herbert's, though it doesn't generate quite the same atmosphere. Overall you would have to say it is a good read and any fan of the originals will derive a lot of pleasure from reading it.
Jason (04/15/04)

I have not yet to read this book. I love reading Frank Herbert books of Dune. I will buy and yet it so exciting. The Elements of this book is almost like real to me as I imagined it.
rdemarco (01/03/03)

It is a good book for spending time without further worring. It has lots of action, an intersting plot. It lacks the mythic appeal of the original dune series but provide us a intersting overview of the pre dune world.
Ben C. (09/15/02)

Despite some significant mistakes, this book does a decent job of recreating the world of Herbert's DUNE. Unfortunately, the writing style is geared more towards the less intellectual crowd, an apparent attempt to cater to Hardy-boy type readers who prefer sex and violence over the smooth philosophical undertones which characterized Frank Herbert's DUNE series.

The authors also suffer from mistakes and misreading of the original book, Dune, in other ways. The authors go somewhat overboard with making the Harkonnens into monsters, and depict them with red hair, when the original book had them with black hair. Fenring's hmmm's are actually a secret language between him and his wife, but the authors apparently overlook this, and mistakenly portray this as a speech defect in their new prequel.

The level of violence and sexual innuendo is played up in this prequel, and characters such as "the Baron" are a far more affected than the original book ever suggested. The level of adventure is heightened, which is a refreshing change. The authors also do a good job of creatively enhancing details which were only mentioned in Herbert's dune, as well as creating some intriguing ones of their own.

Overall, a good read, but the authors would have benefited from closer reading of the original books.

• Book Jacket: Golden Hill
    Golden Hill
    by Francis Spufford
  • Book Jacket: Midnight at the Electric
    Midnight at the Electric
    by Jodi Lynn Anderson
    The world changes, but humanity stays the same. Whether a book takes place in the year 1510 or 2010,...
    by Paulette Jiles
    Paulette Jiles brings the landscape of late 19th century Texas to life in this novel long-listed for...

Win The Library of Light and Shadow

The Library of Light and Shadow by M.J. Rose

The Almost Sisters

A powerful, emotionally resonant novel of the South.

T H Are B T O