Reader reviews and comments on The Measure of A Man, plus links to write your own review.

The Measure of A Man

A Spiritual Autobiography

by Sidney Poitier

The Measure of A Man

Apr 2000, 272 pages
    Apr 2001, 272 pages

There are currently 9 reader reviews for The Measure of A Man

Randi Denyse Parker (10/13/10)

The Messenger...
It all started with a Patch of Blue for me. I had seen that movie and instantly established Sidney's self acknowledgment in the 'gift of life.' Meaning, I knew and felt he was not a portrayer. I now translate The Measure Of A Man with nobility, excitement and immense distinction of not only Mr. Poitier himself, but myself as well. He is a very strong man, with a very rare way of living. I would simply love everyone to know... I have received his message... all of them, which empowers me to understand that accomplishing your dreams is much more fulfilling than dreaming them.
Devon Taylor (06/10/09)

oh
This book was amazing. Not like any other. This book was read by me in November of 2008, and I refuse to read another book because this book has changed my opinion on books. I personally think that this is one of the best books I have ever read
Palesa Mpuru (03/31/09)

Spiritually Uplifting
This book makes you think deep and be emotionally involved. You wonder how would your dad or father relate to you his past and future aspirations on being a better person with the help of your family, friends and your community. Great Inspiration. I Love the book!
william russell (09/28/07)

still waters run deep
I am a long distance trucker that has listened to many, many, books of all description and this one read by the author is excellent. It is a shame that the liberal elite such as Mr.Poitier are such unapproachable people. I had performed several Google searches on the outside chance of the author having a web site so just a regular guy like myself could send him an e-mail and comment on this great autobiography. None were found. Whereas I do disagree on some of his takes on child raising overall this piece will surely get a person to think deeply about many important issues about life and our overall place in the universe(s). I would highly recommend the audio version because Mr. Poitier is the best reader to highlight and personalize the most important parts.
Angela M. (04/18/07)

Okay Okay...
Honestly, this book is okay. It is almost identical to his first autobiography. I read his first one for a project in school. It was interesting. But, this one wasn't as amazing as everyone says. If they read his first book, they'll see that this book isn't really anything special.
Kate (04/09/07)

The Measure of a Man
Good beginning, bad ending.
Donna Wilson (04/14/04)

I read this book while on a trip in Aruba....It was very smooth enjoyable reading about the Measure of a Man to be admired and applauded for his determination to not just to be a success in films and stage but most of all in Life.
He freely admits his faults and owns up to his strengths, which extend from his upbringing, in a materialistic 'Poor' but morally 'Rich' Parents...Which he still continues to instill in himself and his own Children.
I have tried to live my own life and instill in my own Children, the same Philosophies which Mr. Piotier lives by, which is probably why I was able to relate so much to his book.
I would like to take this opportunity to Thank Mr. Piotier with all my heart for his contribution.
I plan to pass this book down to my own children in hopes that they too will gain some positive insight to life.
Thank You!!... Sidney Piotier!
Donna Wilson
EANGELINE HUNTER (02/07/04)

I AM 24 YRS AND I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED SIDNEY POITIER. MY UNCLE HAD GOTTEN ME INTO HIM AND I NOW OWN 18 OF HIS MOVIES AND STILL GOING. I APPRECIATE HIS MORALS AND HIS EITHICS THAT HE DESCRIBES IN HIS BOOK. I NOW KNOW WHY I HAVE LOVED HIM AND LOOKED UP TO HIM FOR SO LONG. HE SHOWS HIS DTERMINATION AND HUNGER TO SUCCEED IN LIFE. HE WANTS TO SHOW PEOLE AND MOST OIF ALL HIMSELF THAT "NOTHING TRIED NOTHING DONE".

• Book Jacket: Harmony
    A Gentleman in Moscow
    by Amor Towles

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review