Reader reviews and comments on White Oleander, plus links to write your own review.

White Oleander

by Janet Fitch

White Oleander

May 1999, 390 pages
    May 2000, 400 pages

There are currently 62 reader reviews for White Oleander

Evan D. Goodstein (10/28/02)

What a great story..... glued to the pages !!!
Erica (10/21/02)

wow
sway (07/17/02)

Painful, dark, and optimistic, Janet Fitch brings us a world sometimes too much like our own. This novel is original and unique in a literary sea of the mudane and predictable. Far too often I've found myself 49 pages into a book, able at that moment to tell you exactly what will play out, the basis of the entire story. White Oleander is not that kind of novel. When you pick up this story be prepared to dedicate your mind to it because it will take you away if you're willing to let it. Astrid and Ingrid remind us that we never know anyone, not ourselves, not our friends, not our lovers, not our mothers. Trying to pigeon hole these characters is a futile battle, rather one should enjoy their decisions their steps and their outcomes, whether you are to fully understand their motives or not. They are gripping and haunting, deep and layered. Enjoy this incredible writing, it has been a while since I've seen this kind of intricate storyline combined with such rich characters.

luckysix13@hotmail.com
Deborah (06/11/02)

I loved this book. It left me with a good feeling about peoples strengths in themselves. The words were soul searching. Parts of the book made me cry. The characters were so real as if they really existed. I look forward to reading her next book.
lisa (05/11/02)

it was good
Kellyn (05/06/02)

In my english room our teacher had just given us a new "project" to work on (he's forever giving us projects). So i was totally bummed, but then I became interested in the book White Oleander. All I needed to know was,what the book was about, and I was bought. So i basicly ended up reading the whole thing to get a desent grade in the class. Truthfully,I was suprized at the reaction a had on the book i felt it was a great book,i recomend it to anyone between the ages 13 and older.I'm 16 and the only reason I think 13 year olds should be able to read it is because Astrid (the main character in the story)is 13 herself so i highly recommend this book to anyone between those ages....

Thankz Kellyn
April (04/30/02)

I am simply amazed at the upbringing of children in foster care. I have never had to deal with that life, and I wish it didn't even exist. Astrid is an amazing woman, even tho she's just a character in a book, she's real to me. I wish I could meet her, talk to her, hold her. I always take a few days off from reading when Ive finished an epic novel, to bathe in every word. To really understand every page. From beginning to end, I loved this book. I finished it in 8 days. If anyone would like to talk about the book or others, I'm always taking suggestions, email me at SunnayBunny@hotmail.com

Thanks :)
Bacteria (04/11/02)

Well written, it was time well wasted.

One Month Free Membership

Boy Erased
    by Garrard Conley

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

An enthralling novel about love, loss, secrets and friendship.

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things
    by Bryn Greenwood

A memorable coming-of-age tale about loyalty, defiance, and the power of love.

This Must Be the Place