MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on White Oleander, plus links to write your own review.

White Oleander

by Janet Fitch

White Oleander

May 1999, 390 pages
    May 2000, 400 pages

There are currently 62 reader reviews for White Oleander

lauren (02/21/03)

Absolutly breath takiing....an unforgetable story....that leaves you hanging in mid air after every word.
Nicole (02/04/03)

This book was amazing. It kept me reading from page to page non stop. I loved Janet Fitch's writing in this novel and i hope to read a lot more of her work in the future!
S.L.B. (01/30/03)

I gave this book a three and that may be genourous at best,I got disgusted with the book at about the 3rd or 4th chapter but went on until I finished so I could be honest in my review and I was hoping that it would get better. True,it was realistic in a lot of ways,my family is friends with a foster mother and we know some true life horror storys but this book was overwritten and poorly made in my estimate. First off.why do people feel a need to put down religion,especially christianity down in some way? And what was the point in Olivia Johnsone? No real character there just a wasted sheet of paper,Claire and Ray was good plot eleiments but Astid was just a girl rolling in self-pity,instead of making herself better in her circumstances,Janet Fitch did a injustice to all real foster girls and let them see the girl Astrid deciding that life was life and there was no point in bettering yourself! Boo! If you like this book it is your choice,not mine.
Kelly (01/21/03)

This is the best book I have ever read. Although I have obviously never experienced something near as tromatising as Astrid, I coulr reallyrelate to her.It's a heavy book, but I would definatly recomend it.
Pippin (01/20/03)

truly amazing! this book demonstartes the knowledge and understanding as if the author had actually gone theough these horrible experiences herself. truly an amazing story filled with innnocence, compassion, annd beauty
Alie (12/23/02)

I'm a Junior in High School and my mom recommended this book to me. I have never read a book that has actually made me emotionally moved. Everyday I didn't want to put it down and when it finished I wanted it to keep going. You have to like looking deep into a psychological point of view of a persons life to read this book. White Oleander was incredible and by far the best book I have ever read.
Stephanie (12/13/02)

This is by far the best book I have ever read. It is also very depressing as to what Astrid experiences with her foster homes.
deanna shriver (12/06/02)

UNBELIEVABE! ONE OF THE BEST READS POSSIBLE. (PROPS TO THE AUTHOR FOR HER EXCELLENT SKILLS

• Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
  • Book Jacket: All Tomorrow's Parties
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

I I A Sign O T T