MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on White Oleander, plus links to write your own review.

White Oleander

by Janet Fitch

White Oleander

May 1999, 390 pages
    May 2000, 400 pages

There are currently 62 reader reviews for White Oleander

Adrian Brieler (05/23/03)

This is one of the most amazing books I've ever read. I've never read something so incredibly powerful as this. I was moved by the intense lyrical beauty of it and just about everything else about it. Janet Finch is a truly gifted author
Maliktahamapemba (05/20/03)

I apologize this is not a review, I could take the time to search for a forum on it(if one exists) but I have other things to do, so I hope you don't mind. I would like some content info about the book. The movie was very unorthadox by today's standards, of editing (as in making them non existent) sexual images-- though they were some of the theme. I'm hoping the book is similar in this regaurd, if not, what is the extent of explicitness? Could someone please email me this info, and anyother you think i may be concerned about; at : maliktahamapemba@hotmail.com. Thank you very much.
Megan (05/08/03)

I simply adore the book. Finch's writing is so gripping and unique that I can rarely put the book down. I cryed which is somthing I never do when reading a novel unless its as good as white Oleander. It changed my life, astrid's jorney though life seems close to home for me. Foster care is quiet horrid and her decription of it is so persise and delicate.
Saima (05/07/03)

Honestly, it is the best book I've ever read. The amount of realism in this book is absolutely breathtaking. I show deep empathy for Astrid and it makes me enjoy the book even the more better. Her understanding of this bitter world makes me love her character. I can't see how anyone could possibly be disappointed with this book.
Tiffany (04/24/03)

I loved the book. It was so awesome, the movie was great also but nothing beats the book. Thank you Janet for giving me such a wonderful book to read. I hope your next novel is as wonderful as the White Oleander.
Jasmine (03/04/03)

White Oleander is an amazing novel. From the first paragraph to the last i was totally enthralled with this book. I couldn't put it down. When i wasnt reading i was thinking about it. Every charactor in the book was real, I saw myself in each one. I have not read a book like it and cannot wait to read the next by janet fitch.. Way to go on your first novel. If things can only get better, i can't wait.
Shazia (03/02/03)

This incredible story about hope and determination, solitude and relationships, had me engrossed from beginning to end. The emotions that were evoked from me were directly related to the intense and beautifully scripted prose that Janet Fitch constructed. Truly an eye-opener.
krystie (02/23/03)

this book had a soft lyrical sense of language. the realistic themes help a younger generation to feel more alert to life. this book also helps provide a justification for people who have experienced the horror of child abuse. i am proud to give it a 5.

• Book Jacket: City of Secrets
    City of Secrets
    by Stewart O'Nan
    In his new novel, City of Secrets, Stewart O'Nan spins a tale of espionage and intrigue as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...
  • Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

The less we know, the longer our explanations

Girl Waits with Gun