MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on White Oleander, plus links to write your own review.

White Oleander

by Janet Fitch

White Oleander

May 1999, 390 pages
    May 2000, 400 pages

There are currently 62 reader reviews for White Oleander

Natalia Roussetos (02/04/05)

Fantastic..... I absolutely loved it!
kay (12/24/04)

Hands down, one of the greatest novels i have ever read. The characters are enchanting, so vivid and full of life. The author, Janet Fitch is a poet...her sentances flow beautifully page after page. You will not be able to put this book down, it draws you into Astrid's world( the main character) until you feel like you are actually there with her...everyone MUST read this book!
Jamie (11/08/04)

Im seventeen years old. I've read White Oleander by Janet Fitch twice now, and I'm writing a research paper on it for english class. The book was beautiful. My emotions, as I read, were as tumultuous as Astrid's. At times, I felt like I was beside her, watching her every move, even though she couldn't see me, like some sort of spirit. At points, I felt like shaking her, yelling What are you thinking?! Other times I wanted to cry with her and tell her the right thing to do, when to speak, when to walk away. Janet Fitch's descriptions and dialogue and web-spinning put me in an insatiable mood for words; she's actually inspired me to write. I went to the library after reading White Oleander for the second time, and I couldn't find a book I wanted to read. Nothing I pulled off the shelves seemed worth my time comparitively. It was wonderful. On the scale of one to five, I give it a seventy-six!
Kaylee (08/23/04)

This book, White Oleander, was awesome. The writing style and theme of the story just flowed. I seriously loved reading it and I don't even like to read. The author, Janet Fitch, really made you feel like you were there and put you in Astrid's shoes. You knew exactly how she felt and why she felt that way. I found myself wondering what i would do in some of the situations Astrid found herself in. All in all, i loved it!
C. Webb (06/17/04)

Very good story. A little drawn out. To many similies and descriptive paragraphs. This story could have been told on a little faster pace. I ended up skipping whole paagraphs toward the end. The ending was not as I hoped. I hoped Astrid would feel a grater sense of freedomand from her mother. I hoped she would feel love for herself and/or someone.
Sarah (06/08/04)

As a fifteen year old girl, I loved this book. Even though I have not experienced exactly what Astrid has, I feel a deep connection with Astrid. Each of the characters in the book are portrayed uniquely, and you can tell this in the writing style. I think that this book is a wonderful story of a girl trying to find her place in the world. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a good, solid read. Get a box of tissue though, it is heart wrenching. I wouldn't recommended it to anyone younger then I, as of the mature content. I read this book from cover to cover twice, in two days. It is amazing in every way.
Thanks Janet!
Jessica Nicol (05/27/04)

I first saw this movie but then i went and read the book and I think this was one of the most amazing books i have read in my whole life.
May Siu (04/13/04)

My three older sister's had read the book and so I decided to continue with the tradition. I liked it so much that I read it in two days non-stop when I was seventeen. This book is amazing, the development of characters takes you on an adventure to remember. I will read it again.
M Siu

• Book Jacket: The Never-Open Desert Diner
    The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
  • Book Jacket: The Vanishing Velazquez
    The Vanishing Velazquez
    by Laura Cumming
    Author Laura Cumming spins out a tale of obsession and ruin in her latest book, The Vanishing Vel&#...
    The Fair Fight
    by Anna Freeman
    Anna Freeman's debut novel, The Fair Fight, highlights the world of boxing in England during ...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

H Now B C?