MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Daughter of Fortune, plus links to write your own review.

Daughter of Fortune

by Isabel Allende

Daughter of Fortune

Oct 1999, 416 pages
    Sep 2000, 400 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Daughter of Fortune

Sabdy (12/09/02)

This book was amazing! I was asked to read it for my Spanish class, and as soon as I saw the cover, I knew that this book would be different. I also knew that I wouldn't appreciate it the way I wanted to if I read it in Spanish, therefore I read it in English first. I strongly recommend this book to everyone, men or women. It gives a new perspective to women and how the Gold Rush affected all colors of people looking for a new life.
lauren curren (12/02/02)

thanks the book was wonderful i liked it alot.......
Jessica (11/03/02)

i'm a teenager girl, who always hated reading until, my english teacher made us search for books of dreams! when i saw the cover on Daught of fortune, i notices that the cover wasn't like the others(i judge the book by its cover)! I now love to read because of this one book, that an excellent auther had written inspired me to continue reading!
YM (10/23/02)

i loved the book.it really attracts you to read it.i really recommend it.
mb (10/07/02)

Love her style of building the characters, just about the time you question why something is happening an entire chapter seems to appear. I can hardly wait to read other works by Allende.
s.l.b. (08/05/02)

I wasn't sure how to rate this book,at first I wan't too crazy about it but the more I read the more absored I got! It was a bit confusing to read at first but then I quickly realized that she was writing it like a diary! Eliza's diary! I'm really glad there is a part 2 to the book,I was frusrated by the ending and I'm sure many are. But this is agood book and I recommed it to anybody for a summer and winter reading.
candice leung (05/02/02)

i really enjoyed this book!
ediec (04/24/02)

Read this book when it first came out & loved it. I like historical fiction & like Allende's writing. If you liked this book I recommend that you read her sequel "Portrait in Sepia" which continues the story of Eliza and her family.

• Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
  • Book Jacket: All Tomorrow's Parties
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
  • Book Jacket: The Never-Open Desert Diner
    The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

Spinster
by Kate Bolick

A bold, original, moving book that will inspire fanatical devotion and ignite debate.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

I I A Sign O T T