Reader reviews and comments on Gap Creek, plus links to write your own review.

Gap Creek

by Robert C. Morgan

Gap Creek

Jan 2000, 324 pages
    Oct 2000, 336 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Gap Creek

Rebecca (12/02/11)

Despite Catastrophes
Julie's character is the story, while she is not well-educated, her fine intelligence is given justice in her narrating voice. Morgan has the ability to capture emotions and mental images over and over with Julie's voice.

The story is a snapshot of one year, and while some express incredulity at their many misfortunes, I think they are realistic. These are young and inexperienced people suddenly and unexpectedly in charge of a homestead. In the real world, misfortune can occur in a series and is not neatly spaced, so I find it believable.

The most poignant part is how easily they leave when it is time to go, as if the most precious relics of their stay are the experiences lessons learned and each other.

As Julie says, time was a gift that just kept coming day after day.
andi (07/07/11)

nice work
I think the book was a great job, people really lived that way so I loved how Julie explained everything so simply.
Reading Nana (04/10/10)

A decent first draft
Morgan tells a decent but contrived story - All that happens is so predictable as soon as the novel gets going. My biggest complaint is that the book is written in Julies' voice. Morgan consistently uses poor grammar but, as important narrative is created he falls off. If Julie is really telling the story she uses vocabulary beyond her education and culture. I would have liked to see some more information of her growing up and formative years. I felt obliged to stick to the end, but found my self skimming over several pages at at time. Too many holes.
katie Gilbert (03/29/10)

A pleasing Read
I enjoyed this book alot. I could really relate to the girl in the book..average physique average intelligence average everything! AHH I LOVED IT!!!!:)
Theresa (02/12/05)

This book was "OK", but I am not sure what all the fuss is about. By the time I got to the last 50 pages I was angry with the book. Its an Oprah Book Club selection and a NY Times bestseller, but I am missing what all the hype is about?!?
Andrea Mathers (12/24/04)

Gap Creek is one of the best novels i have ever read! This book is captures your attention from the start and holds it until the very last word. The story is simple and pure..i would highly reccomend it for reading newcomers.
Brittnie Marie (11/07/04)

I just finished this book, and I loved it. Its one of thoughs books that I will always think about from time to time. There was a couple slow parts, but most of it was very good. I have a one year old, and reading sometimes is hard to do, but with this book, it just kept me locked in it. Julie is such a strong girl, and and her life has taught me alot. Robert Morgan made you feel like the characters are real living people, and the book flows together wonderfuly.
So if you are a women, and your looking for a strong women to encourage you, Julie is the women you need. Read Gap Creek.
Brittnie
Anonymous (06/14/04)

I really liked this book. Julie and Hank were compelling. Julie was 'raw', honest and deliberate. I felt the author did a good job of capturing the emotional void and equalizing it to the finacial void. He brought the characters to the bottom of the river and let them rise enough to tread water at the suface.

• Book Jacket: All We Have Left
    by Louise Penny
  • Book Jacket: Homegoing
    Homegoing
    by Yaa Gyasi

Most of us who turn to any subject we love remember some morning or evening hour when...

The Big Holiday Wordplay: