Reader reviews and comments on Gap Creek, plus links to write your own review.

Gap Creek

by Robert C. Morgan

Gap Creek

Jan 2000, 324 pages
    Oct 2000, 336 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Gap Creek

Kate (07/11/02)

This book was over-rated by its jacket reviews. It was a disappointing
story with little reward. I don't need much as far as story line as I truly enjoy Willa Cather's books but this book just didn't make it - the
characters were flat and it's a book that probably won't have a long life
as it actually had little to say.Text
Melissa (04/10/02)

I loved this book. This is definitly the best book I have ever read. A friend was reading it and I asked how it was and they said it was pretty good. So as soon as she checked in into the library I checked it out. I couldnt put it down and I plan on reading it again.
Anonymous (08/09/01)

Ginny
I loved this book, but was VERY disappointed in the ending. I enjoyed the author's ability to weave old fashioned insights into his work. I felt as though I were living back at the turn of the century with his wonderfully descriptive prose. I really enjoyed the in-depth descriptions of the food and the cleaning - of what it took to survive back then when you didn't have any money. And how a good meal was something that was savored and appreciated.
I couldn't help feeling though that the author never really ended the book, but rather just simply stopped writing. If I didn't know better, I'd think someone ripped out the last chapter of my copy of the book!
On the whole though I thought it was a wonderful read and I would recommend it to anyone.
Anonymous (08/09/01)

Beverley
Morgan has a gift for description of the revolting sides of life, but I got tired of and desensitized by the repetition and found the plot development very slow. It tried my patience. Also, Julie and Hank as well as the minor characters were flat and Julie in particular implausibly annoyingly in her one dimensional passivity and acceptance that life is to be endured and that one has few choices. A disappointing novel unless you want to read about cutting up hogs and the seamy side of nature.

• Book Jacket: A Gentleman in Moscow
    Night of the Animals
    by Bill Broun

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

This Must Be the Place
by Maggie O'Farrell

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review