Reader reviews and comments on The Color of Water, plus links to write your own review.

The Color of Water

by James McBride

The Color of Water by James McBride

Feb 1996, 228 pages
    Feb 1997, 228 pages

There are currently 97 reader reviews for The Color of Water

Lonnie Norwood, Jr. (09/01/02)

This book was excellent and phenominally written for all age groups to appreciate. The reader is taught that success comes from determination from deep within. We are able to succeed with a little faith... irrespective of color, race, religion or creed.
Anonymous (08/25/02)

The Color of Water was truely amazing! It was a centimental book that reaches out and touches many different age groups. The Color of Water is a must read!
migs (08/24/02)

i dont read many books but once i got a couple chapters in i couldnt put it down. its just a life story that you feel proud to be reading about becuse of all the diveristy both the mother and the son had gone through in their lives and still were able to come out on top.
s.b. (07/30/02)

I think this book really touches the reader. You see how crutial the relationship between the white mother and the black son really is. I think James is an excellent author and that people of all ages should read this book!
Anonymous (07/09/02)

I think that this book was written beautifully by James McBride. I had to read this book for a Honors English assignment and I thought that it wouldn't be an enjoyable book. But it is. I never seemed to get bored of it. I wanted to know more after each chapter. This book dealt with issues of race and identity and true courage. I would definietly recommend this book to who ever wishes to read a fantastic book. Enjoy!
Anonymous (06/25/02)

this book is really cool! we have to read it for a summer reading project and i love the way it switches back and forth between the author's life and his mother's. it makes it very interesting to read!!
michelle q (06/09/02)

this book is great.it shows the problems of society w/interaciality and it shows the strength to overcome.i loved the book and think the author and his mother are great people!
Tasha D (06/03/02)

I think that this is a very good book, and people of all ages should read it.

• Book Jacket: The Graybar Hotel